Here's a tanner, go and get thee sen some Spice

"Here's a tanner, go and get thee sen some Spice"

How many times was that said 40 years ago to kids from their grandparents.

That statement would guarantee to cause a few raised eyebrows these days!!!

"Here's a tanner, go and get thee sen some Spice"

How many times was that said 40 years ago to kids from their grandparents.

That statement would guarantee to cause a few raised eyebrows these days!!!

In my childhood at the end of the war threepence would have been a fortune....byt it wasn't the money you needed, but the sweet coupons...and the choice in the shops was meagre. Mostly mint rock or plain toffees. Mars bars etc didn't become available until the late Forties. The point is that a Treat in those days really was a treat....someting rare and well worth having. And needless to say we didn't waste it. I could get really angry when I see today's kids showering their fizzy drinks around when we would have cried if we had spilled a drop of our precious Tizer!

In my childhood at the end of the war threepence would have been a fortune....byt it wasn't the money you needed, but the sweet coupons...and the choice in the shops was meagre. Mostly mint rock or plain toffees. Mars bars etc didn't become available until the late Forties. The point is that a Treat in those days really was a treat....someting rare and well worth having. And needless to say we didn't waste it. I could get really angry when I see today's kids showering their fizzy drinks around when we would have cried if we had spilled a drop of our precious Tizer!

Yes and we only had that with Sunday dinner.