Martial Artists: Why do you train?

I watched the Karate kid read some Martial Arts magazines and knew it was something I wanted to do.

I started Shotokan then Kickboxing then Taekwondo that was 20 years ago!

At the moment I am getting more drawn into RBSD and have just affliated my Taekwondo club to the SDF with Dave Turton. I also teach Kickboxing.

I enjoy doing all aspects of Martial Arts ,on Monday I went doing some Grappling and Stuff up Barnsley(Hosinsul TKD SDF), never done much ground fighting but really enjoyed it.

Tonight I have been invited up to Dave Mantis club to teach some TKD kicking, the good thing about Martial Arts are all the friends and different people you meet in this country and abroad.

This thread is really interesting...I just started kickboxing. I'm not very good and i cant imagine ever going in the ring. I started cause im on a fitness kick but also for self defense purposes. I walk my dog in my local park and from time to time theres groups of lads there messing. One night they garbbed me and tried to get my top off me and it scared the hell out of me. I tried to run but there was three of them and two of them watching and they kept cutting me off. They only left it when this big bloke with an alsation shouted over. Dont know what id have done if he hadnt. I know the main advice is leg it or spray them in the face with something but i couldnt leg it and i wouldnt have had time to go in my bag, get out a can etc. I know some people say its better not to resist cause the attacker will be more brutal if you do but personally i'd rather feel like i could try SOMETHING rather than just let some person violate me. I was shaking and felt really angry after what happened and i think that was largely cause i felt so helpless. I have very pacifst leanings and my mates find it hilarious i started kickboxing but its already making me feel more confident. If it happened again id still try and run first.

Training for self defence is far from pointless. Just because a martial art isn't going to help if you're hit by a tactical nuke doesn't render it pointless. Most of the time people don't have tac nukes in their bag, so if you've trained for the most common self defence scenario then it may well be of some use to you at some point.

It's always worth making the point in training that if someone attacks you with a knife, you should expect to get cut. The trick is making sure you don't get killed.

Important point. ;-) It was reported in The Star recently that a girl was attacked by a potential rapist but actually managed to fend the guy off using a kick boxing move!!!

mutually assured destruction as a form of self defence, I like it.

It's a reason that people often start training. If it's the only reason (and they don't find that they enjoy it) they rarely stay long enough for it to ever benefit them.

I started partly for self defence reasons, I don't stay because of that, and it hasn't been a reason for at least the last 5 years.

Hi Cyclone,

You know of the course that the self defence technique for a tactical nuke is 2 tactical nukes ;)

I don't deny that training for self defence might help you in a violent situation, but what I mean to say is, is it really a valid reason for training?

Would it not be more worthwhile to train in an environment where you get hit and submitted because you enjoy the sport, you like testing your zone of comfort, you like being part of a group of interesting people, the challenge etc etc and after 10 years being able to say, wow, I've had such a satisfying experience and what a bonus! I don't think anyone would pick me to attack nowadays!

Be aware of the guys who collect knives and wear camoflage trousers for no apparent reason.. thats what happens when you worry to much about self defence!

Catt - I hope you reported that to the police, and make sure you don't put yourself in that situation again.

dan_ - i'd back the boxer too.

I would also back the boxer. Try watching mixed martial arts competitions involving purist karate-ka e.g. some of the earlier UFCs. Generally don't perform well.

Um, except for Kyokushinkai. That's cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushinkai

But having trained at several karate clubs, in most cases I don't think of it as a practical art due to the way it's trained at the majority of clubs. (Trying very hard not to offend the minority of clubs who train realistic / full contact karate here e.g. kyokushinkai that I mentioned, as they'd break me)

I wouldn't back a boxer against a similar level MMA fighter though. (Similar amount of training time and natural ability), oh and similar size and weight.

Might make it to the 393Club next Monday crayfish, do you train there?

Catt - I hope you reported that to the police, and make sure you don't put yourself in that situation again.

Yeah i did report it but the police werent very bothered and I didnt 'put' myself in that situation, i was walking my dog in my local park!!!! ;-)

I didn't mean to imply that it was your fault.

Hopefully as part of your training though you're taught that awareness is probably the most important skill in self defence. If you can see a dangerous situation before it's unavoidable, then you never have to do anything involving fighting.

Fighting is the last resort when the rest of your self defence techniques have failed.

No offense taken. ;-) In the first hand i would obviously avoid such a situation, then try and run and only if i had no choice try something else. I think kick boxing builds confidence so yes, i think this might help project a more confident me that people would be less likely to try and mess with...!!

However, i do find it sad that people would want to mess with someone just for walking their dog in the park at 7.00 at night!! ;-( Not fair!!

Clyclone & Crayfish, you both say that you would back the boxer, yet have not given any reasons for arriving at this opinion. Having studied one martial art for quite a while and another two 'on and off' I have a rough knowledge of martial arts and it's associates, I would genuinely like to know what makes you come to this opinion?

Dan

Archived