Martial Artists: Why do you train?

Question: why do a lot of people relate Self Defense to MMA or UFC type events???

Devils advocate:twisted: (so don’t shoot me lol)

Just a point on Karate and SD

My first instructor in Karate got attacked (attempted rap) by 3 taxi drivers she put 2 or them in hospital (the other ran off lol)

Question: was she able to defend herself due to her training in Karate or was it all down to some other factor???

Now I know you might be thinking for every one good story there are 100 bad but the question still stands.

That is a good question Dave regarding MMA and SD.

Pub car parks, night clubs and taxi queues are nothing like an octagon..

The last place you would want to be is rolling aroung grappling.

Also in any Combat sport there are rules so street and sport are totally different.

Other factors on the streets are multiple attackers, weapons, dirty tactics ETC ETC.

I think people compare MMA to streets because it has less restrictions on what is allowed....but it still isn't the street.

Simple answer to the question.

In the ring, MMA/UFC are the closest you can get to a fight on the street.

Minimal rules, with the only criteria being one winner through knock out or submission.

The more rules you add, the less like a fight it gets, and so the less like SD it gets.

No one is arguing that training in karate isn't better than no training at all, the question (I guess) is if training in karate is the best use of your time if your only intent is to learn to fight as effectively as possible.

Regarding rolling on the floor when fighting outside the pub, the only way to learn to get up as quickly as possible if you do end up there, is to be capable of fighting there and getting good position quickly.

Pretending that by not training there you will not end up there isn't going to work.

Yes Cyclone I agree thats why I have started doing some grappling styles.

However I have been unlucky enough to have a some street fights and so far my stand up stuff has never failed me(touch wood)! Only one fight went to the ground but I got up quick.

Also in a cage the fighters don't have ten pints first lol:hihi:

I have upmost respect for MMA fighters and I agree that they probaly have some of the best tools for self defence.

The question (I guess) is if training in karate is the best use of your time if your only intent is to learn to fight as effectively as possible.

But the same question could be about any art they all have holes we need to plug but you can’t plug them all.

It’s the sport that surrounds the art of karate that people only see you can say the same for Taekwondo from what I have seen the sport is different from what they teach the military.

Question: How many boxers would stand up against someone that trains in jujutsu on the street or vice versa:?: :?::?:

Question: who many top fighters/competitors have trained in Karate over the years and did they get nothing out of it:?: :?::?:

Bruno trained in Karate so why would a top Uk boxer train it:?: :?::?:

Come to think of it I have seen a top Karate lad from Japan kicking 6 baseball bats tied together and breaking them all. I wouldn’t won’t to tell him that training in karate might not the best use of his time.

I think I like my legs to much lol

Hopefully none as both boxers and jitsuka have more sense than to go and fight on the street. But you never know who it is that decides your head looks like a punching bag after you've had 8 pints.

I suspect that a lot of street violence (this is a personal theory) is precipitated by thugs who get a kick out of it.

As such, they don't go out and drink, or no more than a pint or two, and they pick a target they think they can hurt without getting any pain in return.

Either that, or the fight flairs up from nothing with huge haymakers being thrown around (having watched the saturday night cctv programs).

Training in anything is going to improve your chances of coming out of either scenario better off than before you trained.

But if your intent is to learn to defend yourself in that situation, then you have to learn how best to spend your limited training time.

To be honest, it's probably not spending 10 years on a single style (as i've done) and earning your 1st dan and becoming an instructor.

I think you can get an awful lot out of most styles (with regular) training with a few years (maybe more for your first style...)

As I said earlier though, i train for more reasons than just self defence, and won't kid myself that my style has all the answers. Fortunately i've already done 5 years of tkd (not the type where you can't hit the head), and since then 10 years of traditional jj. Now i'm lucking at a bit of bjj (went 1st time tonight and had a great time, although i am knackered). And if I had the time I love to do a bit of proper boxing training and sparring (not matches, i have no wish to get brain damage), maybe even kickboxing, could get along to chefkickers club/gym sometime maybe... When they introduce an 8th day into the week :D

Yeah it was good fun. I think i'll be back next week, and hopefully for the rest of the summer. Not sure about term time, might be too busy.

Is there ever more actual instruction? It was very much a case of trying to see and copy the people who had better technique, rather than John demonstrating say a few ways of passing guard and a few ways of rolling from guard, then drilling those techniques.

I'm fairly quick to spot what's happening because i've training for so long, but a complete novice would have been lost in that session today and would probably be never seen again.

Archived