Scrap metal collectors taking the micheal

No, if they take possession of the fridge, then whatever they leave has been fly tipped.

Plus I'll wager that most of them simply let the gasses loose into the atmosphere.

Wrong ,my neighbour left an old tv round back of her house ,scrap men came ,took out all bits they wanted and left rest on grass verge ,council came and told neighbour she was responsible for it even though neighbour told council she had not given it to scrap men and they had mearly taken it

Wrong ,my neighbour left an old tv round back of her house ,scrap men came ,took out all bits they wanted and left rest on grass verge ,council came and told neighbour she was responsible for it even though neighbour told council she had not given it to scrap men and they had mearly taken it

That's an interesting one. If people fly tip on, for example, a farmer's land, my understanding was that it is the farmer's responsibility to clear up. So if someone (the scrap people) fly tip the remains of a TV on the grass verge (the council's property), then why isn't it the council's responsibility to clear it away?

No, if they take possession of the fridge, then whatever they leave has been fly tipped.

Plus I'll wager that most of them simply let the gasses loose into the atmosphere.

Don't know about that, see what you're saying but it's well known that most scrappies have little interest in doing the job properly so some responsibility rests with the owner to insure that things will be disposed of properly.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 15:36 ----------

That's an interesting one. If people fly tip on, for example, a farmer's land, my understanding was that it is the farmer's responsibility to clear up. So if someone (the scrap people) fly tip the remains of a TV on the grass verge (the council's property), then why isn't it the council's responsibility to clear it away?

Probably a case of farmers having to rather than being responsible I would have thought.

Edited by silentP
clarity

No.

The owner fly tips the fridge on the verge in anticipation of it being taken away by an itinerant scrappie.

Someone helps themselves to part of it leaving the bulk of the fridge still fly tipped by the owner.

And we all accept the council as the leading authority in these matters do we?

Or are they simply useless layabouts looking for an excuse to shift the responsibility?

Most councils do have a service for collecting bulky items: if such items are left out for that service and pillaged by the scrap men then that is simply theft.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 17:46 ----------

The owner fly tips the fridge on the verge in anticipation of it being taken away by an itinerant scrappie.

And that is fair enough, since there is a reasonable assumption that a scrappy will be passing through in due course.

But the implied offer is to take the whole thing. Either they trash it and take what they want, in which case that is criminal damage, or they take possession, take what they want and fly tip the remainder: either way it is a criminal act.

Whether you’re a resident or a business, don’t give your waste to someone who can’t prove they are a legitimate waste carrier - You could be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000 if you don’t.

Ok,

Well lots of interesting opinions.

Can i just say that im not at all lazy, i do take stuff to the dump sites for disposal. Hate to see fly tipped stuff around the place.

I have a personal `one night` rule, in that if my gifts of scrap metal have been there more than one night, then ill take it myself to the dump.....Now I`m been very pedantic......but, this is a shame as my local dump is 6 miles away, so i have to start my often cold car engine up, drive there, sit in a que then drive 6 miles back. Surely this causes more damage to the environment than a passing scrap dealer going about his/her normal rounds.

Also i believe strongly that the council have enough to do let alone tiding people crap up, hence i dont fly tip for any longer than 24 hours.

Also i believe strongly that the council have enough to do let alone tiding people crap up, hence i dont fly tip for any longer than 24 hours.

The council are missing a money earner by not collecting the scrap, at least encouraging people to put small metal items in the recycle bin.

What were you hoping the scrap men would do with the (worthless) casing?

Fly tip it on my road judging from experience. Don't leave anything that's not pure metal out for the scrappies, they'll just fly tip what they can't use later.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 21:43 ----------

No.

Someone helps themselves to part of it leaving the bulk of the fridge still fly tipped by the owner.

This is exactly correct. Other than putting your bins out or putting items out for a prearranged collection, the act of putting rubbish out on the street or verge is, legally, fly tipping. The fly tipper's intentions are irrelevant in law.