Sick Parcelforce couriers charged up to £250 if they can't find cover

I'm surprised the guardian have left out facts - like the rest of our national newspapers, they're always so accurate [/sARCASM]

It wouldnt surprise me if they have left out facts. Don't believe all you read.

Some companies may be different. I'm only commenting from my own experience but i know for a fact where i worked previously i've had drivers before pull sickies and make money

PS i have no idea how to do quotes!

it should have

at the start the last quote bit with the slash should be at the end of the text to quote
Edited by melthebell

Considering most of Parcelforces drivers are in fact employees it's abundantly clear they can choose what they would like to do. My point still stands - you are considering these people as employees when they are not and it's disingenious to say otherwise.

Obviously the thread is about the self employed parcel force workers, as they are the ones subject to a £250 cost if they have to take a sick day.

If I have a week off work, I get 100% of my pay. I think that is wrong too.

But its a free country to work where and for who you please.

Nice to see a strong moral compass on here.

At one time if you were salaried (normally staff jobs) you got paid if you were off, but didn't get overtime if you worked over.

Hourly paid jobs were just that.

Public sector jobs got both.

Has all this gone now in favour of more complicated arrangements?

The original topic was based on ill informed media reporting it seems, so much of what has been said is not relevant to the actual facts.

Edited by andrejuan

Parcel force charge their workers £250 for each day they have off sick, to cover the cost of a replacement driver.

I've not read the thread, but I clicked on the link to see if the wording was the same...

yours says:

Parcel force charge their workers £250 for each day they have off sick

the wording after the headline says in the link:

Parcelforce couriers can be charged up to £250 a day if they are off sick

-

Does this mean parcelforce drivers are charged 250 every time they are off sick regardless?

I've not read the thread, but I clicked on the link to see if the wording was the same...

yours says:

Parcel force charge their workers £250 for each day they have off sick

the wording after the headline says in the link:

Parcelforce couriers can be charged up to £250 a day if they are off sick

-

Does this mean parcelforce drivers are charged 250 every time they are off sick regardless?

It's the self-employed workers (make up 25% of parcel force employees)

It's the self-employed workers (make up 25% of parcel force employees)

Not what I was thinking off... (and your wording didn't say that, it said 'Parcel force charge their workers £250 for each day they have off sick')

If they phone in sick, then it's 250 regardless of time they ring? and anything else?

If so why does it say 'could' and 'upto'.

The link doesn't explain it well enough.

Not what I was thinking off... (and your wording didn't say that, it said 'Parcel force charge their workers £250 for each day they have off sick')

If they phone in sick, then it's 250 regardless of time they ring? and anything else?

If so why does it say 'could' and 'upto'.

The link doesn't explain it well enough.

I'm assuming it's a contract for services drawn up by Parcel Force that you have to sign up to if you want jobs from them, and that the contract for services has a penalty clause in it for if you can't fulfill the job. I'm struggling to see what other arrangement it could be based on without compromising the self-employed status of the drivers.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 21:31 ----------

If I have a week off work, I get 100% of my pay. I think that is wrong too.

But its a free country to work where and for who you please.

What's going on here? There's nothing wrong with getting sick pay! People are sometimes ill, you're entitled to some financial security so you don't have to worry a lot about sometimes being ill.

I'm assuming it's a contract for services drawn up by Parcel Force that you have to sign up to if you want jobs from them, and that the contract for services has a penalty clause in it for if you can't fulfill the job. I'm struggling to see what other arrangement it could be based on without compromising the self-employed status of the drivers.

i wonder if this will be written into other employment contracts soon :suspect:

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed the quote

i wonder if this will be written into other employment contracts soon :suspect:

A contract for services is absolutely not an employment contract, it's a contract between a stole trader or company and their client.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes