Sick Parcelforce couriers charged up to £250 if they can't find cover

May hasn't committed to any change, let alone change any laws. All she's done is promise to consult, and hasn't bound the government to act on the outcome of any consultation.

That's the usual lawmaking process for every new law. Take advice, prepare the papers, take advice, prepare a bill, run it through committees, take more advice, revise, repeat, commit to law (or not).

It would be a bit churlish to diminish the intent after only a couple of hours Bob, and I'm sure that you didn't intend to be since the government's intent seems crystal clear at this time.

...and here come the apologists :(

It is wrong, fully wrong- no justifications for it

dont be silly its the drivers choice to go self employed and if he is cintracted and is off hes broken the contract and has to compensate, same in any business. not rocket science really:loopy:

dont be silly its the drivers choice to go self employed and if he is cintracted and is off hes broken the contract and has to compensate, same in any business. not rocket science really:loopy:

I get the impression that it's not so much as DPD et al giving them a choice, but that DPD et al present it as an "opportunity" when in reality it's just a way of removing liability for employment laws. That's an obvious thing to do for a fluctuating / seasonal business like couriers but it seems to be time to reign it in a bit.

DPD et al are running day to day as a just-in-time operations. What the seem to be missing deliberately or otherwise is a resilient sinking fund or flexible capacity to supplement shifts in their demand patterns. That said, you'd expect that the larger would firms have enough data and system flexibility to predict and cope with most peaks and troughs.

That's the usual lawmaking process for every new law. Take advice, prepare the papers, take advice, prepare a bill, run it through committees, take more advice, revise, repeat, commit to law (or not).

It would be a bit churlish to diminish the intent after only a couple of hours Bob, and I'm sure that you didn't intend to be since the government's intent seems crystal clear at this time.

I'm not a supporter of any political party so I'm able to be quite objective about what I see. Politicians will often consult on an issue so as to appear to be doing something while doing nothing meaningful. I'll judge them on any concrete actions not words.

Genuinely self employed people should be able to turn down work without being fined, that's the problem with firms like DPD. I often pay a self employed mate to do work on my house. If he's ill and can't come to work I don't ruin his life.

Do you pay him if he doesn't turn up? Do you also pay who covers him?

There's more to this story than is being told here. I'm trying to find out if he still gets paid per drop on his round if he is off sick. If he gets someone to cover him I think he still does - I'm not sure that's the case if he doesn't tell DPD. But it's shoddy management either way. Having said that I'm sure I could find an employed postman from (at the time) state owned royal mail who fell to a similar fate because they couldn't cope and management didn't give a toss.

There's more to this story than is being told here. I'm trying to find out if he still gets paid per drop on his round if he is off sick. If he gets someone to cover him I think he still does - I'm not sure that's the case if he doesn't tell DPD. But it's shoddy management either way. Having said that I'm sure I could find an employed postman from (at the time) state owned royal mail who fell to a similar fate because they couldn't cope and management didn't give a toss.

Agreed. The current DPD story seems to have become a political cause celebre rather than some directly attributable cause and effect. People who are already sick have strokes all the time regardless of their employment or not.

The Tory PM seems to be heading it off at the pass with some slightly overdue action, but I expect that stating the bleeding obvious would have me labelled a heartless Tory ******* to the hard of thinking.

Any fine should be a fair approximation of any actual loss, in this case it would be the cost of a replacement driver for the day. If self employed drivers are losing a days contract pay PLUS a £250 fine then this is clearly not the case and they have grounds for legal action.

If he can't come I don't pay him, but I don't levy an additional financial penalty on him because I'm not a grasping ****

If he can't come I don't pay him, but I don't levy an additional financial penalty on him because I'm not a grasping ****

But he still might have got money for his route - it's still his franchise remember, and through December that would have been hefty. But I dony know, and neither do you. That's what I mean, we're light on detail.