Sick Parcelforce couriers charged up to £250 if they can't find cover

This will have been in the terms and conditions of their employment ,and no one is forced them work for Parcelforce they took the job willingly ,so cant complain ..

Is that true?

People earning a crust don’t always take bad jobs willingly. Sometimes they may feel like they have little choice.

Don’t blame the victims

Is that true?

People earning a crust don’t always take bad jobs willingly. Sometimes they may feel like they have little choice.

Don’t blame the victims

That's a well made point. Driving jobs are probably not the first choice for most people and a strange system seems to have built up around final leg couriers that seems unfair to contractors.

I would also say on this particular example not to blame "employer" as sick people drop dead all the time and so far as I know there's no obvious causation of this poor man's stroke. He could have had a stressful desk job, or be unemployed, or just not a prime physical example of humankind who was predestined to die early regardless.

There's a lot of politics being made out of this and for that I feel sorry for the man, and also his family whatever their motivation for this sorry affair.

If it's such a lucrative career with great terms and conditions then perhaps more people would be doing it.

What other legal job about for a uneducated person that can pay £200 for driving around in a small van? Do you want sick pay ? Holiday pay? Union?

Look at all the self employed people running small business, can he open the shop if he doesn’t go to work? Will money come in?

Will a plumber still get pay if he is off sick? Who pays his holiday pay? Who pays for insurance, repair for van? Will he be earning if his van breaks down?

If it's such a lucrative career with great terms and conditions then perhaps more people would be doing it.

There are plenty doing it and from my albeit limited experience the delivery drivers from the likes of DPD, UPS etc round my way haven't changed for years. To have such a high retention rate strikes me as something that isn't that bad.

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 11:10 ----------

What other legal job about for a uneducated person that can pay £200 for driving around in a small van? Do you want sick pay ? Holiday pay? Union?

Look at all the self employed people running small business, can he open the shop if he doesn’t go to work? Will money come in?

Will a plumber still get pay if he is off sick? Who pays his holiday pay? Who pays for insurance, repair for van? Will he be earning if his van breaks down?

The dpd van driver IS self employed. Keep up!

Holiday pay, insurance etc should all be built into your business plan. If you're business can't afford it then you don't have a viable business.

There are plenty doing it and from my albeit limited experience the delivery drivers from the likes of DPD, UPS etc round my way haven't changed for years. To have such a high retention rate strikes me as something that isn't that bad.

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 11:10 ----------

The dpd van driver IS self employed. Keep up!

thats why i think it is fair for parcelforce to charge £250 , he will still get £200 paid for parcels delivered. the guy will only lost out £50 or less after you deduct diesel ,

why do people cry so loud when they havnt got a clue in the real world away from their council house and benefit topups

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 12:41 ----------

Holiday pay, insurance etc should all be built into your business plan. If you're business can't afford it then you don't have a viable business.

have you got a clue on what you are on about? half the parcelforce driver are employed with holiday pay etc etc, only the self employed drivers dont get nothing but they earn a lot more then a employed driver

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 12:42 ----------

too stupid? too lazy? lots of jobs about but % on benefit in south yorkshire is a joke.

thats why i think it is fair for parcelforce to charge £250 , he will still get £200 paid for parcels delivered. the guy will only lost out £50 or less after you deduct diesel ,
Will he? This hasn't been established yet.
why do people cry so loud when they havnt got a clue in the real world away from their council house and benefit topups
I don't see what relevance this little rant has towards anything.
have you got a clue on what you are on about? half the parcelforce driver are employed with holiday pay etc etc, only the self employed drivers dont get nothing but they earn a lot more then a employed driver
You're the one who brought up small businesses and holiday pay. Here is your post I was replying to in case you'd forgotten what you wrote. Do at least try to keep up.

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 12:41 ----------

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 12:42 ----------

too stupid? too lazy? lots of jobs about but % on benefit in south yorkshire is a joke.

What percentage of people in South Yorkshire are in receipt of benefits who are out of work, compared with those in receipt of benefits who are in work?

Perhaps people are crying so loud because they too feel under pressure not to go off sick, but experience significant work related stress that makes them feel ill.

Whilst you're whining about others 'crying', my sympathies go to his widow and son that he's left behind.

Edited by Mister M