Another vote t'other side of the Border.

But would they choose to join NATO? The SNP are rather more pacifist than the big Westminster players.
Pacifism doesn't count for much in the pragmatism and geopolitical stakes.

Even if they went for neutrality, the Scots would most likely (put money on it-likely) still "cooperate" with NATO in the same way Ireland has long done.

I doubt that they could be, or stay, neutral (in diplomatic terms), if they leased Faslane to the RN.

Apparently, Mrs. May has rejected the call for an independence vote in the period mentioned by Sturgeon (to be confirmed).
Mrs May is playing with fire, if so. Smart play (re. BIB), don't get me wrong...but still, with fire. Edited by L00b

I'd have thought that one can be squared reasonably easily: the UK can continue to lease Navy facilities in Faslane and Stornoway and for x years/decades, in exchange for an nth of the UK's khaki hardware and £ per year.

Job done, Scotland's got an 'army' :thumbsup:

They can have a few "bits" of army and the odd Air Sea Rescue base but if they think they're having the typhoons they can whistle ;)

P

Mrs May is playing with fire, if so. Smart play (re. BIB), don't get me wrong...but still, with fire.

Mrs. May is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. Not allowing it will create another source of grievance for the SNP grievance machine. Allowing it would further complicate the already complicated Brexit negotiations. In any case, there does not seem to be much enthusiasm among Scots for another referendum anytime soon.

Like many other ideas put forward by the SNP, the desire for a second referendum before the UK exits the EU is based on wishful thinking, i.e. that the Scottish part of the UK will be allowed to stay within the EU when the rest of the UK leaves. This is very unlikely, as Scotland has never been part of the EU as a member state.

I think Northern ireland should have a simultaneous vote on unification, and Wangland should hold a simultaneous vote as to whether we want to stay in a union with Scotland and separately with Northern Ireland. Also the Republic of Ireland will need to vote on unification as well.

So if Wangland votes yes and Scotland votes no Scotland stays. Anything else and else and Scotland goes.

If Wangland votes yes to NI and NI votes no then NI stays. Anything else and NI goes. Now if the ROI votes no then Northern Ireland would have to become independent so perhaps we should get the republic to vote first so that NI knows where it stands.

Perhaps Scotland would like to petition to join the Republic of Ireland. If they succeed they'd get automatic EURO membership. The question then becomes do we ask the ROI to vote on that first or assume that Scotland is happy to go it alone if rejected by the ROI. At least if they pursue this route they won't have to create an independent currency and then uncreate it 10 minutes later to adopt the EURO.

Perhaps the time has come for each household in the British Isles to be granted the status of an independent nation. At least that way we don't have to endure any more referenda.

Edited by unbeliever

Mrs. May is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. Not allowing it will create another source of grievance for the SNP grievance machine. Allowing it would further complicate the already complicated Brexit negotiations. In any case, there does not seem to be much enthusiasm among Scots for another referendum anytime soon.

Like many other ideas put forward by the SNP, the desire for a second referendum before the UK exits the EU is based on wishful thinking, i.e. that the Scottish part of the UK will be allowed to stay within the EU when the rest of the UK leaves. This is very unlikely, as Scotland has never been part of the EU as a member state.

But if they vote to leave the UK, that will be Scotlands problem, not ours.

Unfortunately, whatever problems Scotland would have after independence would be likely to be blamed on the UK

This is why the terms have to be agreed, or in fact decreed in advance.

The Scottish people need to know that there is no "soft exit" on the table. They're not keeping any of the trappings of UK membership. None. The SNP tried to tell them that they could keep everything they liked before. They can't.

I also don't want to endure an argument about soft exit for Scotland after the vote where everybody has a different idea of what the referendum mandate it.

Maybe it's time to dismantle this union. Northern Ireland and Scotland will be poorer. A lot poorer. I'm all but certain about that.

But people told us that about Brexit so who's left with the standing to make that case and have it believed?

I expect Wales will stay, at least for a while, so we need a name for Wales+England. Not "Country-Mc-Country-face" surely?

"Engles" sound stupid to me. Do I hear a second for "Wangland"?

Since Northern Ireland also want to remain in the EU and Wales was quite possibly voting more against Westminster than the EU, I suggest that Scotland invites them along for the vote, and if the vote goes that way then the UK can remain in the EU and England can leave the UK. Simples.