THINK I've just been caught speeding on motorway

I like how the same people sit in lane 3 when it's a four lane motorway, even when it's quiet and lanes 1 and 2 are empty :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Perhaps the police should up the fine like they did with mobile phone use and speeding?

Honestly geared it's so bad it makes me laugh, it's like they get to the four lanes and totally forget all the rules of the road. I drive on the section of the M1 between jct37 - jct33 3 days a week and where there are 4 lanes, lane 2 and 3 are rammed, lane 4 is busy and lane 1 is totally and completely empty.

It used to make my blood boil, I have learnt now to just laugh and carry on.

The limits are set ridiculously low for modern cars but hence that fills the coffers easier. I always set the cruise control to 76mph in these zones which means i'm travelling at an actual speed of 72mph, this doesn't lead to a fine and you can usually keep moving at this in the outer lane until you get a hugger in front of you.

Speeding is a cash cow and must rake in an absolute fortune.

Such stuff is easily regurgitated but not necessarily near the truth.

£110 million (cash cow or drop in the Ocean?) for the Treasury. The A57 d/c from J31/Worksop cost £17.5 million.

Modern cars don't perform at their best because modern drivers are simply slack or ignorant about their tyres - I see evidence of this almost daily.

Modern cars on unlimited motorways in Germany (+/- 50% of their m/w network) are involved in 73% of Germany's m/w deaths.

Loads of people do 90 on the motorway, ignore the infinitely superior people on here, I'm amazed they can even see from the incredibly high horse they find themselves perched on! It wasn't long ago there were government campaigns to raise the speed limit!

The cameras are the HADECS3 ones, in theory they can be enabled when there is no speed reduction in place, so 'always on' but it depends on the authority. I've also seen the one op towards Leeds flash when no restrictions are in place but I've not been able to find out if they are always active. I can't see it though, I've seen people go past them in excess of 90 and nothing happen.

You certainly won't get banned, points and a fine at worst.

Please let me know though if you do get a fine, be good to know conclusively if they are active when no restrictions are in place. :)

They are, as they are on the M62 (old news).

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 05:24 ----------

Seeing as how the course started by saying that ABS didn't change braking distances I'm afraid to say I completely switched off and nodded along like a good little dog. If they'd actually taught correct and useful info then I might have actually paid more than the minimum attention.

ABS does not guarantee shorter stopping distances or prevent skidding.

Threshold braking is more effective at stopping than ABS but ABS can be seen as harsh braking for dummies and very few dummies (sorry, drivers) have been trained to use either.

Very few can tell what the true purpose of ABS is and have any experience of using it properly in anger. (But they CAN spout off on here.)

Come to Donington and learn something about it (ERT - Emergency Response Training and Skid Car).

Edited by DT Ralge

The limits are set ridiculously low for modern cars but hence that fills the coffers easier. I always set the cruise control to 76mph in these zones which means i'm travelling at an actual speed of 72mph, this doesn't lead to a fine and you can usually keep moving at this in the outer lane until you get a hugger in front of you.

Speeding is a cash cow and must rake in an absolute fortune.

72 doesn't lead to a fine, neither does 75 or indeed 79, since the rule is 10%+2 above the limit.

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 08:25 ----------

Come to Donington and learn something about it (ERT - Emergency Response Training and Skid Car).

Can I book a session on a skid pan? That'd be great fun.

Not proud of this whatsoever but I believe I've just been flashed by a fixed camera on the M1 southbound on the 4 lane bit several miles from Barnsley.There was no speed limit displayed on the section itself but I think I was doing 90mph or JUST over.What would be the most likely outcome of this? I'm worried now I might lose my licence.I have been driving for about 21 years and I've not even had a parking ticket let alone a speeding offence.

"Just over 90mph " Why so fast ?

"Just over 90mph " Why so fast ?

So fast!!! Its a perfectly reasonable speed for a modern car with an experienced driver on a motorway, anybody who isn't capable driving at that speed safely shouldn't be on the road. If I'd been doing any other task for 30yrs I'd be considered to be wholly competant at it, drivers are treated like idiots.