Sheffield Arena to close?

There is also no guaranteee that a newer venue would have any better acoustics with respect to music performances unless it is only built in a specific way for that one specific purpose - which would not be commerically viable for a arena venue.

Hasn't the Leeds Arena been built exactly with this in mind though; theatre arrangement seating , good sightlines and improved acoustics. The design is not suitable for all sporting events or trade shows so there must be a viable business case for a dedicated music/comedy/ show venue.

I seem to recall a number of Steelers fans crowing that Leeds would take away concerts leaving more prime dates for ice hockey. If this is true would seem to hammer home Be careful what you wish for! Having said that I find it hard to believe that even Sheffield Council (surely the country's worst) are stupid enough to junk something they recently spent good money on refurbing.

When people talk about the 'acoustics' of the arena, this has never been and never will be a turn off for fans or the performers. Big acts come to places like that to fill it with 11,000 people paying sometimes up to £120 a ticket. The fans don't care about acoustics they just want to see their idols in the flesh.

Problem for the arena now is Leeds which recently came onto the scene to serve the Yorkshire region. It would seem they are attracting the bigger acts.

Another nail in the coffin.

Perhaps nobody visits it because it's a dump inside. But of course, they won't spend money refurbishing it, because they're incapable of foresight.

THIS …. i went recently with some friends to watch an ice hockey match, and its absolutely awful in their rip of prices for food and drink horrible uncomfortable seating and just basically looked crap everywhere, as with most of sheffield it has the 'it'll do' attitude.

The place is a dump outside and in.

Is it ? They spent 3.5m on a refurbishment in 2013, can't be that bad in little over 4 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24008420

A new roof and seats not really a refurbishment to be honest, and i know that the seats were not upgraded they just squeezed in more smaller uncomfortable seats …..

THIS …. i went recently with some friends to watch an ice hockey match, and its absolutely awful in their rip of prices for food and drink horrible uncomfortable seating and just basically looked crap everywhere, as with most of sheffield it has the 'it'll do' attitude.

The place is a dump outside and in.

A new roof and seats not really a refurbishment to be honest, and i know that the seats were not upgraded they just squeezed in more smaller uncomfortable seats …..

They also replaced the loos - well certainly the women's ones.

Unless I can get seats near the front which costs a fortune I avoid the place its souless and often they move the stage forward even with big acts as it does not sell out.City hall is much better but obviously not big enough to attract some of the big names.

Another in a long line of Sheffield White elephants...

Can the council never get anything right?

Calm down a bit. Its been running perfectly well for 25 years - hardly a white elephant.

Thousands of people have and still do continue to use it.

Just because Leeds finally gets round to building one of their own and as usual the knee jerk response is waaa waaa ours is rubbish waaa waaa why cant we have a shiny new one.

Calm down a bit. Its been running perfectly well for 25 years - hardly a white elephant.

Thousands of people have and still do continue to use it.

Just because Leeds finally gets round to building one of their own and as usual the knee jerk response is waaa waaa ours is rubbish waaa waaa why cant we have a shiny new one.

Agree completely.

Leeds only built a new stadium because the Arena was so popular.

The council doesn't run the Arena or didn't so blame the management company if anything.

I used The Arena for years when the Sharks played there and have visited for numerous bands and events.

I don't visit now 'cos a) the bands performing aren't to my taste and b) its way too expensive but then again i don't visit any of the others Mcr,Pool or Leeds.

As a new build Leeds will bending over backwards to attract events to its new shiney venue at all costs.