Chapple walk music store

Yes, that's how I remember Cann's. Wilson Peck's listening booths were on the ground floor.

I too remember Wilson Peck's ,the last record I bought from there was "The 1967 Diamond Jubilee TT Races..Sound Stories LP" cost 15/6d...still have it..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, Phillip Cann's definitely had a store on Chapel Walk. I remember buying my first ever album from there, "Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat". I bought it because I was curious. Nothing more. It is still one of my favourite albums of all time. Pure. Innocent. Evocative.

Wilson Peck's had a record department downstairs. That was good too. But most people back then went to Cann's, or if after something more dated, Violet May's on Matilda Street, where you could buy ex juke box records with no centre in them!

Then, later, came "Bradley's" on Fargate. That was the "HMV" of it's day. Set next to "Stag" clothing shop, if I recall.

Yes, Phillip Cann's definitely had a store on Chapel Walk. I remember buying my first ever album from there, "Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat". I bought it because I was curious. Nothing more. It is still one of my favourite albums of all time. Pure. Innocent. Evocative.

Wilson Peck's had a record department downstairs. That was good too. But most people back then went to Cann's, or if after something more dated, Violet May's on Matilda Street, where you could buy ex juke box records with no centre in them!

Then, later, came "Bradley's" on Fargate. That was the "HMV" of it's day. Set next to "Stag" clothing shop, if I recall.

I think Violet May's' on Matilda Street was a 1970's thing, before that the store (it's hey day for me) was on Broad Street. When Bradley's opened their store on Fargate in 1964 they only sold musical instuments , catching in on the then 'Beat Boom'. I don't recall when the Fargate store started selling records but when they did they were worthy competitors of Cann's and Wilson Peck if not better in some cases. Oh.. and Curtis' wasn't bad either ! (wonder what happened to them ?)

Edited by stpetre
Add

I think Violet May's' on Matilda Street was a 1970's thing, before that the store (it's hey day for me) was on Broad Street. When Bradley's opened their store on Fargate in 1964 they only sold musical instuments , catching in on the then 'Beat Boom'. I don't recall when the Fargate store started selling records but when they did they were worthy competitors of Cann's and Wilson Peck if not better in some cases. Oh.. and Curtis' wasn't bad either ! (wonder what happened to them ?)

Yes I agree with that to a point. Bradley's became THE place to buy your records eventually.

Although I remember the Virgin record store with Recaro seats and headphones opening at Moorfoot. You could go pick a record and listen in Recaro seats through headphones to see if you liked it before buying it. That was a great moment too.

They were indeed. Spent a lot of time in those booths. Purportedly, they were to allow previewing a record before you bought it. But, many people, myself included, had no intention of buying it. Just wanted to listen to the song. Imagine something like that catching on nowadays?

Yes and the people that went in the booth's to listen to LP's and it took them forever to come out. (Tho' I did it too !)

Bradley's also had a record shop on Chapel Walk.

Boots on High Street also had a record counter, I used to buy from both of these shops as I was a mobile DJ at the time.

My girlfriend........now my wife has worked for both of these shops.

I think Violet May's' on Matilda Street was a 1970's thing, before that the store (it's hey day for me) was on Broad Street. When Bradley's opened their store on Fargate in 1964 they only sold musical instuments , catching in on the then 'Beat Boom'. I don't recall when the Fargate store started selling records but when they did they were worthy competitors of Cann's and Wilson Peck if not better in some cases. Oh.. and Curtis' wasn't bad either ! (wonder what happened to them ?)[/quote
Edited by windswept