Chapple walk music store

Bradley's also had a record shop on Chapel Walk.

Boots on High Street also had a record counter, I used to buy from both of these shops as I was a mobile DJ at the time.

My girlfriend........now my wife has worked for both of these shops.

yeah Bradleys was my era, on Fargate AND on Chapel walk, also Virgin on High Street

I think Violet May's' on Matilda Street was a 1970's thing, before that the store (it's hey day for me) was on Broad Street.

Violet Mays was on the corner of Matilda Street and Earl Way in the mid 60s.At the time my parents had a pub and my mother used to go there to buy records for the juke box...with hole punched out...sometimes I would take her in the car and would park in a small car park on Earl Way a few yards down from the shop....:)

Violet Mays was on the corner of Matilda Street and Earl Way in the mid 60s.At the time my parents had a pub and my mother used to go there to buy records for the juke box...with hole punched out...sometimes I would take her in the car and would park in a small car park on Earl Way a few yards down from the shop....:)

I spent hours in Violet May's trawling thru loads of Ska and Bluebeat records,I found some really good stuff,I often wondered were she got it all from.I also found some nice Soul stuff,I found Billy's Bag and Harlem Shuffle both on Sue Records, I thought I would get them for pennies, but no she knew exactly what they were worth, this would have been 68/69 she was so clued in

Yes, Phillip Cann's definitely had a store on Chapel Walk. I remember buying my first ever album from there, "Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat". I bought it because I was curious. Nothing more. It is still one of my favourite albums of all time. Pure. Innocent. Evocative.

Wilson Peck's had a record department downstairs. That was good too. But most people back then went to Cann's, or if after something more dated, Violet May's on Matilda Street, where you could buy ex juke box records with no centre in them!

Then, later, came "Bradley's" on Fargate. That was the "HMV" of it's day. Set next to "Stag" clothing shop, if I recall.

Yes the old juke box singles with no centres. That meant that they had some over usage before one even bought them and you then had to go and buy the 'middles'.

---------- Post added 17-03-2017 at 14:54 ----------

Did anyone buy records from woolworths on embassy label?

Not if they had any sense, utter garbage even if the records (and artists) were cheap.

Yes the old juke box singles with no centres. That meant that they had some over usage before one even bought them and you then had to go and buy the 'middles'.

---------- Post added 17-03-2017 at 14:54 ----------

Not if they had any sense, utter garbage even if the records (and artists) were cheap.

Hey come on,don't be so nasty the guy was only asking a question,there Is loads of great records that came out on unusual labels.Check out Music for Pleasure