A southern yank with questions

The Full Monty is indeed a most entertaining film, and has shots of many Sheffield Street scenes - but, as its plot revolves around a group of male strippers, don't take it as a typical look at Sheffield life!

The Full Monty is indeed a most entertaining film, and has shots of many Sheffield Street scenes - but, as its plot revolves around a group of male strippers, don't take it as a typical look at Sheffield life!
But it does show the resilience, inventiveness and 'comedy in adversity' of Sheffield!!

Me and thee think alike, lad - I was going to add that they are driven to form their group due to a shortage of money after they have been made redundant (was it from a factory or a steel works)?

It is some years since I lived in Sheffield; do people still use that second person "thee" and "tha", as they used to when I was a boy? As in, "What tha doin'?" for "What are you doing?", or "Do it thee sen" for "Do it yourself"?

I'm not from Sheffield but I've lived here 40 years and I notice quite a lot of language differences that the OP might not be aware of. To me the midday meal is "lunch" but to a Sheffielder it's "dinner", and what I call "dinner" (the evening meal) is "tea" here. There's also the local use of the word "while" where others would say "until", for example if you call a local business to ask their opening hours the answer may be "9 while 5". They also tend to say "stop" when I would say "stay", as in "It's nice weather, I hope it stops like this" or if I'm going away for a few days I might be asked "where are you stopping?"

Good points, Lectro.

Regarding the usage of "while", I remember when the first "pelican" crossing (pedestrian crossing controlled by a push-button sign) was installed in the city, by the Town Hall I think. Beside the push button was printed the advice "Wait while light is red". Of course you can imagine what many Sheffielders did, they waited for the red light and stepped confidently into the road, as the traffic hurtled towards them. The signs were soon replaced by something like "Wait until light is green". I don't think there were any fatalities.

But it does show the resilience, inventiveness and 'comedy in adversity' of Sheffield!!

True, but I think I'll need intensive therapy after watching a film wherein Mark Addy plays a male stripper. No disrespect to the man; he's a formidable acting talent. But the more clothed, the better.

---------- Post added 18-03-2017 at 12:11 ----------

I'm not from Sheffield but I've lived here 40 years and I notice quite a lot of language differences that the OP might not be aware of. To me the midday meal is "lunch" but to a Sheffielder it's "dinner", and what I call "dinner" (the evening meal) is "tea" here. There's also the local use of the word "while" where others would say "until", for example if you call a local business to ask their opening hours the answer may be "9 while 5". They also tend to say "stop" when I would say "stay", as in "It's nice weather, I hope it stops like this" or if I'm going away for a few days I might be asked "where are you stopping?"

With my ex-pat character, he's lived in the US for approximately twenty years. As a writer friend of mine from Essex pointed out, the gradual language assimilation over that period of time may have caused him to shed some of the Sheffield-isms.

Question: someone mentioned the film "When Saturday Comes." Looked for it on DVD on ebay, but I can't find in Region 1. Anyone know where I can find it online to watch or download?

---------- Post added 18-03-2017 at 12:12 ----------

thank you all for your help, encouragement, and info so far! Keep it coming, please. This has been fun and educational so far!!

True, but I think I'll need intensive therapy after watching a film wherein Mark Addy plays a male stripper. No disrespect to the man; he's a formidable acting talent. But the more clothed, the better.

---------- Post added 18-03-2017 at 12:11 ----------

Don't worry, most of the characters wear clothes during most of the film! I think the idea was that this was a group of most unlikely male strippers who formed their group as a way out of financial difficulties. it is one heck of a film.

[/color]

Don't worry, most of the characters wear clothes during most of the film! I think the idea was that this was a group of most unlikely male strippers who formed their group as a way out of financial difficulties. it is one heck of a film.

I'll bear that in mind, Dude.