Lowfield special School

Hi PT, when my mum went there in the 1940s she said it was known as a special school, because lots of children that attended this school came from broken families. They used to live in what is now called sheltered housing.

These children all had to wear a uniform. My mum's not sure if it was officially

titled special or if it was just classed as this due to these circumstances.

I hope someone can enlighten me on this.

As I stated earlier I meant Highfield school and not Lowfield. :thumbsup:

I can't see a broken home requiring special schooling, though! lol

PT

I know, even my mum said they didn't have any special need's or anything she just remembers it being called a special school. Then again she is 70 might have gone a bit :loopy: I will ask her again later, and if she hasn't strangled me

for calling her loopy I will let you know tonight what she say's.

Id have thought you would have known PT I read lot's of your post's and you seem to have lot's of knowledge about local history. By the way do you live in the Sharrow area?

I can't see a broken home requiring special schooling, though! lol

PT

I know, even my mum said they didn't have any special need's or anything she just remembers it being called a special school. Then again she is 70 might have gone a bit :loopy: I will ask her again later, and if she hasn't strangled me

for calling her loopy I will let you know tonight what she say's.

Id have thought you would have known PT I read lot's of your post's and you seem to have lot's of knowledge about local history. By the way do you live in the Sharrow area?

yeah, flash, I am really keen on local history. I think it's an untapped gold mine. I loved to hear my parents and grandparents relate their tales of things that happened when they were younger.

I grew up in Sharrow, from 9 yrs old, to fifteen, then moved back when I married my ex hubby, and then, again, three years ago, I moved to the very cusp of Sharrow/ Nether edge, near Psalter lane. I really like this district.

one of my schoolfriends from Sharrow Lane school was transferred to Highfield school, when we all went to senior school. She had learning difficulties, and behavioural problems.

I believe it now houses a youth group, and is an annexe of Mount Pleasant House.

PT

My old junior school was a stones throw from highfield s/s, it was called st barnabus, on cecil road. I went there in the 70s, wonder if anyone else on the forum went there, or had friends go there. Also i remember going to the youth club at highfield s/s around 77ish, they had a disco there and it was pretty good as i recall.

Archived