The SYP should apologise to this Sheffield Man

He certainly seems happy enough to speak to many other news agencies about it though!

Why wouldn't he be?

He's been subject to a gross abuse of power- talking to media is the one way to get the story out there, so more people can realize that this could happen to anyone of them.

(un)Believe=I don't really know therefore I assume it to be.

You are still too weak to find the truth therefore you chose to assume it this way. Most believers are fooled to believe that it is something strong and powerful they have and believe in and pretend to be on the top.

The problem is that when even a tiny little bit of truth comes trough the believe starts to become unstable and intense battle is needed to keep that believe together. Because any reality will make the believer look like a fool.

Many people in this world choose for believe and stop looking and investigating. Because every change to a similar situation and a new believe is needed for the changes.

When things happen like with this Sheffield man it is better you keep believes away from it. What has happened to this man is too important and sensitive to be attacked by unsensitive (un)believers.

I am certain warpig is looking for the answer, he comes with many possible ways things could have gone in this case, that's fine, its just all this believing without giving the victim any chance.

Does that apply to you believing everything in the article?

Why wouldn't he be?

He's been subject to a gross abuse of power- talking to media is the one way to get the story out there, so more people can realize that this could happen to anyone of them.

Arrest on reasonable grounds to suspect is hardly a gross abuse of power.

Remember, a lot of forces when being sued balance out the cost of making a payout and contesting the case in court.

The force barrister would have cost a lot more than £60,000 to defend its actions.

How many people do you think are out there that have been arrested but released due to sufficient evidence?

Arrest on reasonable grounds to suspect is hardly a gross abuse of power.

He wasn't arrested on reasonable grounds- he was arrested because a police force clerk wrote down an IP address with a wrong digit :loopy:

This could have happened to anyone here- anyone here could have been arrested, and lost their career, because a clerk got a number wrong, and there were no double-checking protocols in place to detect it until the damage was done.

How many people do you think are out there that have been arrested but released due to sufficient evidence?

It must happen daily, but for some reason people on here seem to think that being arrested is the same as being convicted :suspect:

Being arrested just means the police can carry out their investigation, and it also means the accused can have free legal advice as well as triggering many other rights for them. Where would we be if cops couldnt arrest someone based on suspicion? Almost every arrest the cops make will be based on suspicion because actual proof can only be decided at court.

Plus, if the cops hung around and waited for the proof, the accused could carry on committing their crimes.

In this guys case he was arrested on incorrect information, but I would guess the arrest would have been lawful regardless. It was extremely unfortunate for the individual, and he accepted a payout as compensation. I would assume it was referred to the IPCC and dealt with by them. Mistakes like this will always happen due to human error, or in this case a computer/typing error. As wrong as it might be, it will always happen, as it does in all walks of life.

Ive never really understood the apology culture, I wouldn't want or expect an apology if I was arrested and it transpired I was innocent. Just as folk expect Japan to apologise for their behaviour in WW2. Their apology would be meaningless even to the families of those concerned. I certainly dont want or expect Germany to apologise for what my Grandfather had to endure, it would be meaningless to my Grandmother, my family and myself.

I wouldn't want or expect an apology if I was arrested and it transpired I was innocent.

Let me just get this right, you would not want or expect an apology if you were arrested for paedophilia, rape, murder or any other crime and it turned out that the police cocked up the investigation and you were completely innocent?

Of course the SYP should apologise to this man...

"Eleven months after his arrest, and still without knowledge of why his home had been raided, Nigel began the search for answers - filing a complaint against South Yorkshire Police on grounds of racism and sexism.

He believed he had been unfairly targeted, given that the internet account had been registered to his partner - who is white - but she had not been investigated.

The complaint was dismissed, but it was during this process he first learned of Hertfordshire Police's involvement in the case.

He asked whether it might be possible to check if the cause of his arrest had been incorrect information supplied by those in Hertfordshire, but says he was told that "owing to the passage of time" this would not be possible".

Nigel decided to ask his solicitor to look deeper. The lawyer contacted Hertfordshire Police and discovered the truth of the incorrect IP address.

Nigel says: "I've had to pay a solicitor to find out the mistake, when the police could have done that. That is what hurts.

"I'm screaming and shouting my innocence and they tell me they couldn't do it, but then I get a solicitor and he can.

"It shows me they don't care about my life. Then don't care about ordinary people."

He deserves every penny he got but should have got a lot more in my opinion.

Let me just get this right, you would not want or expect an apology if you were arrested for paedophilia, rape, murder or any other crime and it turned out that the police cocked up the investigation and you were completely innocent?

Correct. If they had arrested me in good faith then I wouldn't want or expect an apology. What use is an apology anyway? it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't change anything. It certainly wouldn't suddenly make e feel ok about it all.

Whilst being far from happy at being arrested, I would at least have faith that this kind of despicable crime is being addressed by the cops. On one hand we have folk in uproar with the police under-reacting in the Rotherham scandal, whilst also being in uproar against them over reacting to this one. There are no winners.

Edited by WarPig

And 'good faith' includes being arrested for paedophillia because a clerk got a number wrong on a IP address??

Yes, the cops who arrested him acted in good faith, unbeknown to them that the information they were acting on was incorrect. Im guessing Its not as though they knew it was incorrect and arrested him anyway. That would have made the arrest unlawful. They would surely have genuinely believed it to have been correct. As it happened, it wasnt correct.

Whilst being far from happy at being arrested, I would at least have faith that this kind of despicable crime is being addressed by the cops.

What despicable crime? The victim was 100% innocent.

Going after innocent people due to a clerk getting a number wrong in no way contributes to the battle against paedophiles, it simply means less time and resources directed towards the guilty.

Here's a thought, when it comes to accusing people of being paedophiles, how about having a strict procedure, that any numbers written down are double checked, as it's very common that human beings get them wrong when transferring them?