Roads closed due to bike event 19/03/2017

Oh my goodness! You had to move some cones?

Have you contacted your MP?

People were doing emergency stops on the main A6101 because the relatively blind left turn (onto Hagg Hill) was blocked and there was no warning signage.

It was quite a major hazard

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

No wonder pedallism gets such bad press. :loopy:

If by pedallism you mean cycling, it doesn't get much bad press. Any bad press is far outweighed by the thousands of articles pointing out that increased cycling is excellent for the environment, and, for the nations health.

Given we're in the middle of a national (rising) epidemic of obesity, heart disease and type II diabetes, to the extent that the (dying) NHS is overwhelmed not just by lack of funds, but by having to treat diseases that mainly would not exist if people lived a healthy lifestyle (diet, cycling etc), and-

given that we're (probably) well past the middle of an environmental crisis,

it makes sense to do what's necessary to encourage as many people as possible to get and ride cycles, and, inform them of the massive benefits (to themselves, the environment and, the NHS) of doing so.

"Cars burn money and make you fat, Bikes burn fat and save you money"

There are many many people who drive cars and remain fit, the car granted may be environmentally detrimental but does not necessarily contribute to obesity.

There's many people who do X yet don't suffer Y.

(e.g. x="smoke 3 packs a day" and y="die early of cancer")

They're inevitable exceptions to general rules.

Those who drive cars 2 hrs a day are clearly 2 hrs less fit than those who cycle instead.

That's why the health system heavily promotes cycling, as it knows that a rise in cycling equals a decline in obesity, type II diabetes and CHD.

I haven't "pointed out there were no volunteers" I suggested there may have been an issue with them. The thing with volunteers is that they are unpaid and not under contract - they're volunteers - so sometimes they don't turn up. I don't even know if this event was run by volunteers, but assuming it was, it looks like there was an unforeseen issue.

I am still somewhat bemused by the cones being that much of an issue. If you were in a hurry and the event was over, run over them. If you weren't in a hurry, why not stack them up to help out the community?

A traffic management contractor was employed to put out cones / signs for the temporary road closures. Unfortunately the one they used last time, who perfumed well, went bust and they had to find a new contractor at short notice. It seems the team who were removing the closures have missed several sets of cones / signs. SCC are taking this up with them as part of the debrief.

Those who drive cars 2 hrs a day are clearly 2 hrs less fit than those who cycle instead.

That's why the health system heavily promotes cycling, as it knows that a rise in cycling equals a decline in obesity, type II diabetes and CHD.

I agree that cycling is by far a healthier choice than sitting but that still leaves 22 hours in each day to compensate for the periods of inactivity. What a person chooses to do in the day will also have an affect on health. I wouldn't point blame at a car when there are other factors that lead to poor health.

I suppose combining poor diet and inactivity with driving may be the final nail in which case cycling may make the difference to a short or lengthy life span.

Cycling does improve your health but I cant agree that driving alone, will cause the opposite. It can be a contributing factor.

Yes, cycling is good, as is any physical activity. Your analysis is over simplistic though, and would only be true if the drivers and cyclists did exactly the same activity for the remaining 22 hours of their day. The main cause to obesity and the associated complications is poor diet, not lack of activity.

Just to warn people, a rolling road closure will be in place tomorrow from around 7:45 to 9:15am and 17:00-18:30 on weekdays

There is the daily festival of "people who can't be arsed to move and will sit in a 7' x 5' box to travel a couple of miles' which will be taking place mostly Monday-Friday.

Emergency vehicles may experience difficulties

Fantastic - very true!

I agree that cycling is by far a healthier choice than sitting but that still leaves 22 hours in each day to compensate for the periods of inactivity. What a person chooses to do in the day will also have an affect on health. I wouldn't point blame at a car when there are other factors that lead to poor health.

I suppose combining poor diet and inactivity with driving may be the final nail in which case cycling may make the difference to a short or lengthy life span.

Cycling does improve your health but I cant agree that driving alone, will cause the opposite. It can be a contributing factor.

No ones said driving alone causes obesity.

It's most definitely a (major) contributing factor.

I am still somewhat bemused by the cones being that much of an issue. If you were in a hurry and the event was over, run over them. If you weren't in a hurry, why not stack them up to help out the community?

Because getting out of a car is a no-no

I was sat in my car on a road near Chatsworth, there were about 15 cars in front of me stopped because there were some sheep in the road who were giving it the big "up yours"

People were sat beeping at them to no effect.

So I got out and jogged to the front of the line, herded the sheep off the road and people started to move off.

Jogging (slowly, I'd just been on a 16 mile walk) back to my car, the driver waiting behind my car which was now stationary in the road with no queue in front, was waving his arms around me and appeared to be shouting for me to "come the eff on" and "effing move"

I realised that I had committed a cardinal sin of motoring and should have stayed in my car until either we or the sheep died of old age