The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

But the given reason is to allow Brexit to proceed effectively, making it a constitutional requirement.

It would have been far better if Cameron had called it before he ran away.

That would have been a ludicrous decision. The country has had a chance to see how the new Conservative leader and Prime Minister has preformed during the last nine months, meaning a Conservative victory is inevitable in June. The Conservative party were in a much weaker position on 24th June 2016.

The thought occurs to me that if we have to have a General Election in order to proceed with Brexit, then the election is a constitutional requirement that ought to have been completed before the Article 50 notice was submitted.

We are where we are, but now we have a chance to annul Article 50 and go back to Europe and say 'we have realised we have made a mistake, can we come back?'

Parliament voted 494 votes to 122 votes to trigger Article 50, so there was no need to have a General Election before that vote. Makes more sense to have a General Election after Article 50 was triggered, then the electorate are effectively voting for the party they want to negotiate Brexit. An increase in the Tory majority, should really end all arguments.

I agree with this analysis. I for one have criticised May for having no mandate. If she gets one at the GE then fair enough.

Here's my reading of the situation. Brexit negotiations in Brussels aren't going well.

I suspect that behind closed doors there has been hostility by the EU's lead negotiator at this early stage of Brexit negotiations. There was always a fear the EU would want to punish the UK for their decision to leave, and perhaps those fears are starting to materialise.

It might be all smiles and handshakes for the cameras but behind closed doors the atmosphere could be very different.

I also suspect the EU's attack team have been trying to weaken Britain's negotiating position by questioning the legitimacy of the PM and the mandate of her government.

EU negotiators probably convinced themselves this was approach was 'safe' and that May wouldn't have the balls to risk a political backlash over another U-turn.

There are probably some red faces in Brussels right now because they've essentially forced the PM to withdraw and re-group with the outcome likely to result in Britain re-emerging with an even stronger negotiating hand.

Here's my reading of the situation. Brexit negotiations in Brussels aren't going well.

I suspect that behind closed doors there has been hostility by the EU's lead negotiator at this early stage of Brexit negotiations. There was always a fear the EU would want to punish the UK for their decision to leave, and perhaps those fears are starting to materialise.

It might be all smiles and handshakes for the cameras but behind closed doors the atmosphere could be very different.

I also suspect the EU's attack team have been trying to weaken Britain's negotiating position by questioning the legitimacy of the PM and the mandate of her government.

EU negotiators probably convinced themselves this was approach was 'safe' and that May wouldn't have the balls to risk a political backlash over another U-turn.

There are probably some red faces in Brussels right now because they've essentially forced the PM to withdraw and re-group with the outcome likely to result in Britain re-emerging with an even stronger negotiating hand.

I don't envy any politician their job at the moment. Arrows coming from all directions....

That's a nice bedtime story,you just missed out 'and the UK lived happily ever after'..........you obviously haven't read what Guy Verhofstadt has said about the election then,let's just say that you couldn't be more wrong.

Oh,nearly forgot,Brexit negotiations haven't even started yet,so how you come up with they 'aren't going well' I have no idea.

Edited by chalga

The Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU) came under fire after it posted two images on the growing trade since the Second World War and on trade with emerging markets.

Far from promoting the case for life after Brexit, the graphics instead underlined how heavily dependent Britain is on trade links and deals with the 27 EU states, critics said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-department-ridiculed-over-tweets-that-show-how-eu-membership-boosts-uk-trade-dexeu-david-davis-andrew-gwynne_uk_58f5c7c6e4b0da2ff862d08e

That's a nice bedtime story,you just missed out 'and the UK lived happily ever after'..........you obviously haven't read what Guy Verhofstadt has said about the election then,let's just say that you couldn't be more wrong.

You might have noticed that opposition parties in the UK [have welcomed] the calling of General Election.

Guy Verhofstadt in Brussels on the other hand is furious. He's an angry man because he knows this will put Britain in a much stronger negotiating position which is why he's trying to pour cold water over the announcement of GE 2017.

You might have noticed that opposition parties in the UK [have welcomed] the calling of General Election.

Guy Verhofstadt in Brussels on the other hand is furious. He's an angry man because he knows this will put Britain in a much stronger negotiating position which is why he's trying to pour cold water over the announcement of GE 2017.

Does he sound furious and angry?

Writing in the Observer, the former Belgian prime minister, who will play a key role in the coming Brexit negotiations, describes the election announced by May on Tuesday as “an attempted power grab by the Conservative party, who wish to take advantage of a Labour party seemingly in disarray to secure another five years of power, before the reality of Brexit bites”.

Verhofstadt further claims that putting more Tory MPs in the House of Commons will do nothing to bolster the British prime minister when it comes to the talks in Brussels. The latest polls have the Tories about 20 percentage points ahead of Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party.

Don’t believe Theresa May. The election won’t change Brexit one bit

Guy Verhofstadt

“The theory espoused by some, that Theresa May is calling a general election on Brexit in order to secure a better deal with the EU, is nonsensical,” he says.

“We can only conclude that many British politicians and the media still don’t fathom how article 50 will work in practice. Will the election of more Tory MPs give Theresa May a greater chance of securing a better Brexit deal? For those sitting around the table in Brussels, this is an irrelevance.

His sentiments count for sweet FA. The British electorate aren't going to lend their ears to some Brussels chief trying to poo-poo our General Election.

A GE has been called and it's been welcomed by all the political parties.

Brussels know what we hold sacred. [This is why] it's so important that we strengthen Britain's negotiating position.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 00:26 ----------

And for the first time in my life I will be voting for the Conservatives on 8th June.

I make no apologies for it. Brexit needs to be delivered. We need Britain to have the strongest possible negotiating hand.