The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Looks like the UK priority for any US trade deal has fallen by the wayside (unsurprisingly):-

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/donald-trump-reveals-eu-trade-deal-more-important-to-us-than-deal-with-britain-after-brexit-a3521051.html

If May and her bunch thought they could trust a man like Trump, they are naïve in the extreme.

He is a businessman and running the USA like one of his businesses.

Apparently he declares bankruptcy when his businesses fail, and others bail him out.

That is not really the way to run a country

Make their own decisions about what?

Verhofstadt is not interested in UK party politics aside from the remark about the power grab,which everyone knows that it is,are you saying he's trying to influence how people vote?

'Yes it appears that way to me, or at the very least cast uncertainty in the voting'

As far as Brexit is concerned,that decision has already been taken last June,nobody in the electorate has another say in what the Brexit deal is,so it's not going to change.

May has already made your decision for you,she is taking the UK out of the EU,either by a deal with the EU or to WTO,there is no other decision left to make except hers on which one it will be.

Well no, I see it as the decision has been made in the vote to leave and the rest is the responsibility of the Conservatives or?

They now represent what the (small) majority wanted.

Well no, I see it as the decision has been made in the vote to leave and the rest is the responsibility of the Conservatives or?

They now represent what the (small) majority wanted.

But you said: 'As before, people make their own decisions in the end, and to be honest, interference from outside helps decide for many so his words may be counterproductive.'

So by this you mean the Conservatives?..........there is no 'many',just whoever is elected in the election,of which Verhofstadt is saying will make no difference to Brexit negotiations.

The real accusations of treachery will come later.

Remainers are completely off the hook. It can't be said that we haven't warned again and again.

Duly noted.

It will go down as the nastiest divorce in history no doubt and I have to say the more I've looked into it, it does appear that the EU is destined to implode. Rules are fine butwhen they constrict every member and seemingly allow them to be so weighed down with 'don'ts and can'ts' it's inevitable (in my eyes) that it won't be the world they perhaps dreamed it would be.

There are problems and all I see is that they refuse or are afraid to confront them.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 10:36 ----------

But you said: 'As before, people make their own decisions in the end, and to be honest, interference from outside helps decide for many so his words may be counterproductive.'

So by this you mean the Conservatives?..........there is no 'many',just whoever is elected in the election,of which Verhofstadt is saying will make no difference to Brexit negotiations.

Maybe I'm overly sceptical and reading too much into this.

Duly noted.

It will go down as the nastiest divorce in history no doubt and I have to say the more I've looked into it, it does appear that the EU is destined to implode. Rules are fine butwhen they constrict every member and seemingly allow them to be so weighed down with 'don'ts and can'ts' it's inevitable (in my eyes) that it won't be the world they perhaps dreamed it would be.

There are problems and all I see is that they refuse or are afraid to confront them.

How come May isn't pushing that reason to the electorate now,or in the Brexit referendum where she was a remainer apparently?

Why does she want to negotiate a deal with a union that will implode instead of walking away to WTO rules?

Brexit at all costs is a strange way to frame your choice.

Brexit is the biggest single issue facing our country. You've got to remember that 40 years of integration means the EU's tentacles reach deep within British society affecting everything we do from how we are governed, how we do justice, how we do business locally, how we trade internationally, how we do immigration, how we do social welfare, how we do foreign policy, how we do local government.. the list is endless.

So lets not pretend this is a trivial issue. The deal we strike with the bureaucrats in Brussels will probably shape what sort of country we have for the next 50 years.

This is why Brexit will be heart & centre of the new 2017 Convervative manifesto whilst the other parties pretend it's a non-issue and put Brexit on the back pages.

Also,can you explain the process of how it strengthens the negotiating position of May?

A. May was never elected Prime Minister by the electorate. She inherited the premiership after an in-house leadership battle after David Cameron stepped down.

B. May doesn't have a Brexit manifesto for the party she represents. They operate from David Cameron's old 2015 manifesto which doesn't even mention the word Brexit.

C. May only enjoys a slim majority government. This means there's a risk of the other political parties sabotaging all her efforts on the 11th hour.

GE2017 will allow the Conservatives to re-programme ABC

Edited by Puggie

Brexit is the biggest single issue facing our country. You've got to remember that 40 years of integration means the EU's tentacles reach deep within British society affecting everything we do from how we are governed, how we do justice, how we do business locally, how we trade internationally, how we do immigration, how we do social welfare, how we do foreign policy, how we do local government.. the list is endless.

So lets not pretend this is a trivial issue. The deal we strike with the bureaucrats in Brussels will probably shape what sort of country we have for the next 50 years.

This is why Brexit will be heart & centre of the new 2017 Convervative manifesto whilst the other parties pretend it's a non-issue and put Brexit on the back pages.

A. May was never elected Prime Minister by the electorate. She inherited the premiership after an in-house leadership battle after David Cameron stepped down.

B. May doesn't have a Brexit manifesto for the party she represents. They operate from David Cameron's old 2015 manifesto which doesn't even mention the word Brexit.

C. May only enjoys a slim majority government. This means there's a risk of the other political parties sabotaging all her efforts on the 11th hour.

GE2017 will allow the Conservatives to re-programme ABC

I asked how it's going to strengthen her hand in Brexit negotiations,not the current state of politics in the UK.

How come May isn't pushing that reason to the electorate now,or in the Brexit referendum where she was a remainer apparently?

Why does she want to negotiate a deal with a union that will implode instead of walking away to WTO rules?

I don't know why. Maybe all the while it's limping along it's worth staying in touch with, maybe they all feel that way, their own security hangs on them remaining together not that separation is a considered option. Switzerland were given an ultimatum and they backed down, that ultimatum was in part given as a warning to the UK.

If you can't decide as a country what is best for you I don't see it as a benefit. In the beginning maybe, but now, no.

It's a simplistic view I have I know this, I don't have the passion to study charts and websites as some of you do.

Edited by silentP

I don't know why. Maybe all the while it's limping along it's worth staying in touch with, maybe they all feel that way, their own security hangs on them remaining together not that separation is a considered option. Switzerland were given an ultimatum and they backed down, that ultimatum was in part given as a warning to the UK.

If you can't decide as a country what is best for you I don't see it as a benefit. In the beginning maybe, but now, no

But you are saying that you can see what May cannot,the EU imploding,why wouldn't she come out and say to the UK public that this is a good enough reason for not only Brexit,but trading on WTO rules and saving an argument over money that the EU will ask for?...........isn't this what leaders of countries are for,to know more than the people they represent?

NATO primarily represents the security,not the EU.