The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Brexit is the biggest single issue facing our country. You've got to remember that 40 years of integration means the EU's tentacles reach deep within British society affecting everything we do from how we are governed, how we do justice, how we do business locally, how we trade internationally, how we do immigration, how we do social welfare, how we do foreign policy, how we do local government.. the list is endless.

So lets not pretend this is a trivial issue. The deal we strike with the bureaucrats in Brussels will probably shape what sort of country we have for the next 50 years.

This is why Brexit will be heart & centre of the new 2017 Convervative manifesto whilst the other parties pretend it's a non-issue and put Brexit on the back pages.

A. May was never elected Prime Minister by the electorate. She inherited the premiership after an in-house leadership battle after David Cameron stepped down.

B. May doesn't have a Brexit manifesto for the party she represents. They operate from David Cameron's old 2015 manifesto which doesn't even mention the word Brexit.

C. May only enjoys a slim majority government. This means there's a risk of the other political parties sabotaging all her efforts on the 11th hour.

GE2017 will allow the Conservatives to re-programme ABC

The economy is the biggest issue. By far. The economy trumps everything.

As we're going to find out as Brexit puts it under immense strain.

The economy is the biggest issue. By far. The economy trumps everything.

Factually incorrect. Immigration has been the most important issue facing the British public for almost 10 years now, and [research] by Oxford University shows that public opinion often ranks immigration as a greater concern compared to other issues such as the economy, housing, the NHS etc.

Edited by Puggie

Factually incorrect. Immigration has been the most important issue facing the British public for almost 10 years now, and [research] by Oxford University shows that the public opinion often ranks immigration as a greater concern compared to other issues such as the economy, housing, the NHS etc.

Just to be clear what I am saying is the economy is the biggest issue, only people don't realise it yet.

They will realise it soon enough.

Chalga - you are underestimating the ferocity of EU negotiators. We are playing catch up, it's not the other way round hence the need for GE2017.

But you are still not explaining how the election will strengthen Mays Brexit negotiating position,what I want is the details of how the election of a May government knocks on to a better hand in negotiations.

All of this actually depends on where your loyalties lay.

How do you define your status?

Is one a European, a subject of the UK, British, English, a Yorkshireman?

This is being a test of how we think of ourselves.

And really it is something of a reality check in my opinion.

Why does she want to negotiate a deal with a union that will implode instead of walking away to WTO rules?

Because it is not inevitable and we want to trade in the meantie.

But you are still not explaining how the election will strengthen Mays Brexit negotiating position,what I want is the details of how the election of a May government knocks on to a better hand in negotiations.

The theory is that if the EU think we get to vote on the final deal and they offer us a bad deal, then we will vote it down and stay in instead.

It is not a persuasive argument, but not entirely without merit.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 12:42 ----------

All of this actually depends on where your loyalties lay.

How do you define your status?

Is one a European, a subject of the UK, British, English, a Yorkshireman?

I don't see any incompatibility in being loyal to all three at once. There is no need for conflict.

Because it is not inevitable and we want to trade in the meantie.

The theory is that if the EU think we get to vote on the final deal and they offer us a bad deal, then we will vote it down and stay in instead.

It is not a persuasive argument, but not entirely without merit.

What does it say about the UK electorate having a vote on a Brexit deal in the Conservatives election manifesto?,Is May promising one?

She has said that the UK are leaving,so why would she offer another referendum on the deal?

How is that strengthening her hand in negotiations unless she wants to stay in?

How is it strengthening her hand if she is coming out with a bad deal to put to the electorate?

Edited by chalga

I don't see any incompatibility in being loyal to all three at once. There is no need for conflict.

Me neither, but soon we shall have to make the choice.

It will not be long before England stands on its own.

Then some difficult choices will have to be made, by everyone.

What does it say about the UK electorate having a vote on a Brexit deal in the Conservatives election manifesto?,Is May promising one?

She has said that the UK are leaving,so why would she offer another referendum on the deal?

How is that strengthening her hand in negotiations unless she wants to stay in?

How is it strengthening her hand if she is coming out with a bad deal to put to the electorate?

You may note I said "theory". The point is that many people will believe it: look at the attitude of some formally staunch Labour voters here, and did you hear that mad woman on Any Answers yesterday? :shocked:

What is certain is that an increased majority will strengthen her hand in her plans to sell off the NHS, pull out of the Convention on Human Rights and monitor everything we say or do.

Stepping out of the politics of Brexit for a minute I thought I'd share this fascinating video with everyone (if you've got a spare 20 minutes).

It's an interview with a social psychologist analyzing the divisions within American society after the Trump election. Many of his arguments could apply equally to British society post-Brexit.

It's fascinating because it helps answer the 'why' questions from a social science prospective when looking at issues like immigration and cultural diversity.