The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

I have similar views. I want us to stay in the EU for trade and scientific collaboration and cooperative things of that type.

May has already said she wants a forge a special relationship with the EU with strong emphasis placed economic trade.

You've got to remember the Conservative party have a handful of ultra-euroskeptic backbench MPs who find the very idea of negotiating a deal with Brussells nauseating - they'd rather see no deal happening at all.

Theresa May does not share their hardline enthusiasm, and one of the benefits of a GE will be the ability to sideline those voices by drowning them out with a larger working majority in government.

In the meantime the UK is already globetrotting with the message that we're open for business. The super wealthy Gulf Arab states [have said] they can't wait to sign an FTA with us once we're no longer EU members (their attempts were blocked by the EU in the past).

I see the liberal-Left are out in France, wrecking and fighting like the 'tolerant' and 'democratic' lot they claim to be. Wasn't it Churchill who said " Tomorrow's Fascists will be the liberals." ?

It said on one channel 'around 800 repressive laws brought in by the old parties.'

FN, the new French Resistance ?!

Not a chance.

Result is as (I) expected, Macron & LePen, others are too far behind to catch up through official count. So it's a Macron-LePen runoff, and Macron will win it very comfortably. Expect him to snag 68+% on May 7th.

France is having its 1997/NuLabour/Blair moment with Macron. I'd expect great things from him.

LePen is having her monent, it will last until May 7th, then she'll just crawl back under the same rock as Hofer and Wilders.

Le Pen is practically done.

Good job today France. Good job Netherland.

I see the liberal-Left are out in France, wrecking and fighting like the 'tolerant' and 'democratic' lot they claim to be. Wasn't it Churchill who said " Tomorrow's Fascists will be the liberals." ?

It said on one channel 'around 800 repressive laws brought in by the old parties.'

FN, the new French Resistance ?!

Have you got a link perhaps, so we can all make our own mind up?

As for the FN being the "new French Resistance", I simply don't know whether to laugh or cry at how ironic that notion is.

You ever heard of the Vichy regime of old?

Of its "relationship" with the Resistance at the time?

Of its particularly close political association with the modern-day FN?

Le Pen is practically done.

Good job today France. Good job Netherland.

Don't forget Austria before.

Did my bit today. 1hr driving, 1hr queueing to vote, 1hr driving back. Turnout seemed massive, never seen it that busy in years and years. Needless to say, I didn't vote MLP.

Edited by L00b

I don't have a link, I think it was on 'RT', but regardless, if it was just 8 it would be bad enough.

You'll be aware of the recent Gay swing to FN and the fact that they have many Maghrebi and African candidates, Baya Moussaoui and Mickael Biabiany for two.

Not a chance.

Result is as (I) expected, Macron & LePen, others are too far behind to catch up through official count. So it's a Macron-LePen runoff, and Macron will win it very comfortably. Expect him to snag 68+% on May 7th.

France is having its 1997/NuLabour/Blair moment with Macron. I'd expect great things from him.

LePen is having her monent, it will last until May 7th, then she'll just crawl back under the same rock as Hofer and Wilders.

I remember you writing that prediction, what, a year or more ago now? :thumbsup:

Unfortunately your brexit predictions are pretty much on point also. So that's a rosy few years we'll be in for. Can you lend us a guilotine...

I remember you writing that prediction, what, a year or more ago now? :thumbsup:

Unfortunately your brexit predictions are pretty much on point also. So that's a rosy few years we'll be in for. Can you lend us a guilotine...

Well in fairness it was a Juppé and LePen prediction, not unknown and unbranded Macron who's played a blinder here.

His lack of party affiliation must have ticked all the right boxes for all those fed up of left/right politics (which is a lot of people...including me): he's a pragmatic centrist! :D

No need of any guillotine, just trust in and lean on your fellow 48 percenter to ride the rough times ahead. I just wish for your sake party politics weren't as hopelessly rigged in the UK as they currently are. Corbyn on Andrew Marr this morning was as hopeless as ever I'm afraid, and Fallon needs more airtime. 24/7 always-on everywhere for the next 7 weeks, to be precise :)

Edited by L00b