The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

My view on guaranteeing the rights of EU nationals.

I do not believe there should be a guarantee made, however I do think EU citizens should be given the opportunity to remain in the UK by way of points-based visa application.

And of course this should be unilateral and apply to British citizens living in the EU.

What does guaranteeing the rights of EU nationals mean?

What does guaranteeing the rights of EU nationals mean?

Guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens means continued exemption from any immigration controls. In other words EU citizens are guaranteed the right to live and work here indefinitely.

I'm not in favour of this arrangement post-Brexit. I still however want EU citizens living in the UK to be given the opportunity to live and work here indefinately, but this should be under a points-based visa system.

Edited by Puggie

Guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens means continued exemption from any immigration controls. In other words EU citizens are guaranteed the right to live and work here indefinitely.

Is that it?

Does it include access to NHS, Legal AID, Tax Credits etc?

There should be a thread for 'The Potential of Brexit'

I would be extremely interested in hearing precisely what that potential is.

Obviously any such potential would need to exclude anything which we could have achieved whilst still a full member of the EU, otherwise it couldn't be described as being directly attributable to Brexit.

I wait with anticipation for the good news.

My view on guaranteeing the rights of EU nationals.

I do not believe there should be a guarantee made, however I do think EU citizens should be given the opportunity to remain in the UK by way of points-based visa application.

And of course this should be unilateral and apply to British citizens living in the EU.

Except that casts even more uncertainty for businesses who have EU citizens working for them. If you want to not offer rights to every EU citizen who legally resides here then perhaps we should remove all barriers to UK citizenship instead for EU citizens? Those who wish to remain here can do so via full citizenship and those who do not are in the lottery of the EU discussions.

---------- Post added 25-04-2017 at 11:52 ----------

Is that it?

Does it include access to NHS, Legal AID, Tax Credits etc?

Yes, but with conditions that do not apply to UK citizens. This point is conveniently missed by most anti-immigration leave supporters.

I dont think that anyone who is working and self supporting should leave. Anyone currently in the UK should be given an indefinite working visa.

However, criminals should be deported immediately. Anyone that commits a crime that is punishable by a prison sentence should be deported once the sentence has been served.

People who are on benefits should be given 6 months to be self sufficient or risk having their visa revoked.

EU citizens in social housing should be helped to move into private rented accommodation.

If they want to continue using the NHS then we will continue to bill the EU for the services.

Thats a start

Except that casts even more uncertainty

Employing over-qualified EU nationals for little more than minimum wage has been a luxury for many sectors of our economy.

The message should be this cannot continue post-Brexit.

You create certainty by giving businesses a roadmap and the time needed to make adjustments. This is why there will be a further transitionally period post-Brexit.

I dont think that anyone who is working and self supporting should leave. Anyone currently in the UK should be given an indefinite working visa.

However, criminals should be deported immediately. Anyone that commits a crime that is punishable by a prison sentence should be deported once the sentence has been served.

People who are on benefits should be given 6 months to be self sufficient or risk having their visa revoked.

EU citizens in social housing should be helped to move into private rented accommodation.

If they want to continue using the NHS then we will continue to bill the EU for the services.

Thats a start

How do you define self supporting though? Most nurses probably wouldn't be classed as self supporting in income terms. Fully qualified nurses start on £21,692. But that doesn't mean we don't need them all the same. It is estimated that there are 20,000 EU nurses in the NHS among the 57,000 EU nationals working across our health services.

Employing over-qualified EU nationals for little more than minimum wage has been a luxury for many sectors of our economy.

The message should be this cannot continue post-Brexit.

You create certainty by giving businesses a roadmap and the time needed to make adjustments. This is why there will be a further transitionally period post-Brexit.

There is no way that anyone on minimum wage can afford to live in London unless they are being subsidised by the state and by councils.

That means that companies like Costa Coffee who are only obliged to pay minimum wage are not paying their employees a living wage.

Some EU citizens are forced to live in up to 20 people in a 3 bed house to make ends meet. So councils are forced to help EU citizens with kids to council accommodation which they don't have. So having kids is a key to unlock all the riches that our state system has to offer.

Seasonal workers are basically slave labour with most earning about 2 per hour after deductions from agencies, accommodation and food etc.

It was Big Business that did not want Brexit and this endless flow of cheap labour to stop.

But its the state who cannot afford to keep subsidising these companies who dont even pay any corporation tax.

But what puzzles me most is that the liberal left were against Brexit. Can't they see that free movement of people is what is crippling our economy and our public services.

Anti-capitalists who are now pro Europe is insane.