The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

the EU needs us to guarantee the rights of their citizens more than we needed them to guarantee ours.
Incorrect.

In purely financial terms, EU citizens in the UK, as a collective, break even at the very worst (I'm being charitable, considering the number of independent studies prior to the referendum which have confirmed their positive contribution). Commonsensically, that will be more out of semi- and high-skilled job holding, less out of benefits refusal on the back of the habitual residence test (heard of it? on the back of the past few posts alone, seems like most still haven't).

In non-financial terms, their collective professional activity and consumption contributes non-trivially to the UK's economic health, more so than the 1m British immigrant sprinkled across the EU. That's simple maths: 4m collectively all existing (at least cost-neutrally) in a 60m country, versus 1m collectively all existing (cost-neutrally or not) across 27 countries numbering 350m.

If you considered the negotiation on an objective (technocratic) basis, you'd realise that.

How have you got any of that from what i have said.

Can you take your anti-brexit glasses off for one minute and read what i put in the posts above.

Ive stated that anyone who can afford to live in the UK should be allowed the live in the UK. If people cant afford to live on a minimum wage then we need to address it either with wage increases or a tax on companies to subsidise their work force.

It should not be up to the state and tax payers to subsidise EU citizens when we have people on ebenefits doing nothing.

No,you wrote that the EU needs to guarantee your expats rights more than the UK needs to guarantee EU migrants,I just replied to say if that's the way you think,and if no agreement is reached,look forward to dismantling your economy,as workers and staff flow out of the UK without anyone to take their place............enjoy.

No,you wrote that the EU needs to guarantee your expats rights more than the UK needs to guarantee EU migrants,I just replied to say if that's the way you think,and if no agreement is reached,look forward to dismantling your economy,as workers and staff flow out of the UK without anyone to take their place............enjoy.

But we wont do that. We are not going to start mass deportations of EU citizens.

But we can start reducing the support that we provide.

The other option would be for all EU citizens in this country can apply for UK citizenship and they are entitled to the same rights as everyone else.

But we wont do that. We are not going to start mass deportations of EU citizens.

The other option would be for all EU citizens in this country can apply for UK citizenship and they are entitled to the same rights as everyone else.

So agreement on rights has been reached then?

Support had already been reduced by by the Cameron Govt.,as in reducing the so called 'pull factors'.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/uk-government-announces-strict-benefits-test-eu-migrants-20140106

Edited by chalga

That option seems to be working well for thousands of those who have tried it.

It's no easier in France is it, and its probably a similar story in many other countries.

The thing that gets me on here is that the problems are Europe wide but attitudes point fingers at the UK like we're the only country experiencing the pinch of overcrowding. People are disgusted that their beloved country sees fit to consider stifling migration, pariahs and xenophobes. It isn't just the uk, Europe as a whole echoes the same talk.

I don't say it's right but something is wrong, and regardless of us leaving or remaining the problem exists doesn't it.

Europe including the UK are bogged down with political correctness and doing what they believe to be the right thing regarding migration. It can't continue on its current path.

It's no easier in France is it, and its probably a similar story in many other countries.
True enough. But neither France nor any of the other EU27 are scheduled to exit the EU so forcing the issue for EU immigrants there, so that point looks rather moot.

The thing that gets me on here is that the problems are Europe wide but attitudes point fingers at the UK like we're the only country experiencing the pinch of overcrowding. People are disgusted that their beloved country sees fit to consider stifling migration, pariahs and xenophobes. It isn't just the uk, Europe as a whole echoes the same talk.

I don't say it's right but something is wrong, and regardless of us leaving or remaining the problem exists doesn't it.

The problem is the same as it always was: when the party ends and the time comes to deal with the hangover, everybody and their pet dog looks for someone to blame, and history here and everywhere else consistently shows that the someone to blame is "the other".

Europe including the UK are bogged down with political correctness and doing what they believe to be the right thing regarding migration. It can't continue on its current path.
It has nothing to do with political correctness, and all to do with being the 1st world, with streets paved with solid gold, grazing unicorns around every corner, and free money, houses and <whetever else> for the taking (...so the people smugglers peddle you, whilst pocketing your life savings and those of your 'investing' extended family, and then shoving onto a half-inflated RIB with a 5hp outboard and a few litres of unleaded...if you're lucky, and if you've avoided rape, enslavement and/or summary execution by marauding gangs on the way).

Same as it always was.

We are lucky to live where we do, in the times we do. Don't let anyone ever tell you different.

Edited by L00b

Many European countries decided it was a good idea to have Commonwealths,and all the benefits that came with it,seems that the people from those Commonwealth countries weren't wanted by many,hence the resentment,just like the EU,they liked the business but they don't like the people.

Do tell us what is this support provided for seasonal fruit pickers.

And tell us what you propose to do without immigrant labour for that work (clue: they have tried and failed to get non-immigrants to do the work).

True enough. But neither France nor any of the other EU27 are scheduled to exit the EU so forcing the issue for EU immigrants there, so that point looks rather moot. .

Not really moot though is it, the pressure is the same in or out and who's to say that, that pressure won't force decisions elsewhere. The difference for the UK is that they will be in a position to do something about it without the constraints of a Union. The bigger club is it's own worst enemy in these situations, any talk of turning away migrants is met with anger, possible repercussions. It's akin to having someone telling you how to run your own household.