The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

There is nothing wrong with nationalism, I am a Frisian nationalist and I am proud of my heritage. T/QUOTE]

Perhaps this is partly why your English is so good. Frisian is supposed to be the nearest thing to Old English of all of the continental European languages and dialects.

Regarding nationalism, unfortunately the Nazis besmirched the idea of nationalism, possibly forever, so that it will always be suspect in the eyes of many.

---------- Post added 25-04-2017 at 18:31 ----------

No, he is working at CERN as they think they have discovered an Anti-Brexit particle and they have to re run some tests..:D

Perhaps he needs a breather, given that he has made an enormous contribution to this thread, in terms of information and analysis of the issues, admittedly from a specific perspective.

There is nothing wrong with nationalism, I am a Frisian nationalist and I am proud of my heritage.

Perhaps this is partly why your English is so good. Frisian is supposed to be the nearest thing to Old English of all of the continental European languages and dialects.

It is, that and speaking English from a young age as it is the second language on Dutch telly.

Regarding nationalism, unfortunately the Nazis besmirched the idea of nationalism, possibly forever, so that it will always be suspect in the eyes of many.

But what is wanting more sovereignty, or indeed St. Patrick's day? It is only the Brits and Germans that have a problem with the idea of nationalism, I wonder if it is one of the root causes for Brexit to be honest.

God no it wasn't in reference to any one attack.

Some here in the UK have an unerring tendency to link migration to terrorism, the question I'm asking is if we were not the victims of such attacks would we still have a problem with people coming to our country. I'm well aware that we have home grown degenerates.

Yes, both because xenophobia is human nature (anti-immigration sentiment is older than the hills, has always existed and will always exist) and only ever overcome through education; and because that sentiment is, in peacetime, at its strongest in times of penury and hardship (typical of the aftermath of an economic crisis) than at any other time.

If the UK had a million EU immigrants instead of 4, populist politicians would still heap the UK's problems on their shoulders just the same, and I daresay just as successfully.

Of course, the reason why the problem is recurrent, is because governments typically fail to provision for hard times (and typically are quite profligate) in times of plenty, and because politicians the world over have known for centuries that "others" constitute a ready-target to fingerpoint in the divide-and-conquer game once the masses start to grumble. Works every time, see.

It is, that and speaking English from a young age as it is the second language on Dutch telly.

But what is wanting more sovereignty, or indeed St. Patrick's day? It is only the Brits and Germans that have a problem with the idea of nationalism, I wonder if it is one of the root causes for Brexit to be honest.

Could be. Nationalism has a few and varied definitions, this being one of them.

Nationalism is defined as being devoted to your country, or the feeling that nations should act independently instead of working together

I think the fact that being nationalistic in britain ,especially england is frowned upon would have had an impact on people voting to leave.It was certainly one part of the many reasons i voted to leave.I grew up in Sheffield where it was ingrained into you that you should be ashamed to be british for things our forefathers did.It is possible that britain and germany feel partly to blame for the two world wars and as such we should deny being nationalistic.If you claim to be a nationalist in britain or germany you will straight away be aligned with the national front,combat 18 and in germany the Nazi party.

Edited by area 51

Yes, both because xenophobia is human nature (anti-immigration sentiment is older than the hills, has always existed and will always exist) and only ever overcome through education; and because that sentiment is, in peacetime, at its strongest in times of penury and hardship (typical of the aftermath of an economic crisis) than at any other time.

If the UK had a million EU immigrants instead of 4, populist politicians would still heap the UK's problems on their shoulders just the same, and I daresay just as successfully.

Of course, the reason why the problem is recurrent, is because governments typically fail to provision for hard times (and typically are quite profligate) in times of plenty, and because politicians the world over have known for centuries that "others" constitute a ready-target to fingerpoint in the divide-and-conquer game once the masses start to grumble. Works every time, see.

No sense in pulling any of that apart, good post.

There's a fundamental point here and I think a big change that has happened in our society in the past decade.

People just seem emboldened to say whatever they want, no matter how unreasonable it is or even if they are breaking the law. We've seen a lot of this around Brexit and immigration but I'm seeing it and experiencing it everywhere I go. Football is getting worse with some people in the crowds shoulting stuff that belongs to the 70s.

We're seeing it with politicians not holding back on some very serious stuff. Howard threatening war on Spain. Fallon threatening to use Trident as a first strike weapon.

People have just lost their inner voice it seems, and just don't hold back.

There's a fundamental point here and I think a big change that has happened in our society in the past decade.

People just seem emboldened to say whatever they want, no matter how unreasonable it is or even if they are breaking the law. We've seen a lot of this around Brexit and immigration but I'm seeing it and experiencing it everywhere I go. Football is getting worse with some people in the crowds shoulting stuff that belongs to the 70s.

We're seeing it with politicians not holding back on some very serious stuff. Howard threatening war on Spain. Fallon threatening to use Trident as a first strike weapon.

People have just lost their inner voice it seems, and just don't hold back.

Because we can hide behind an identity, personas that allow all manner of vulgarity (esp YouTube). People aren't answerable any longer.