The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Great!

Now we have remoaners abusing remoaners.:hihi:

For my part, I was joking, I don't know about anyone else.

The years I spent working in Wakefield were among the best in my life, and the best bunch of people you could hope to meet. Mid Yorkshire NHS.

Regarding the EU, most people have very different reasons both for leaving and remaining. Neither side is a solid block.

When I think of Wakefield, the Rhubarb fields come to mind. I can't think of any 'famous sons and daughters' from there, but of course there'll be some. There's an infamous one who was once a choir boy at Wakefield cathedral ; sharp tools weren't his method though !

Very true. These kind of statements are only going to bind the 27 more closely together.

I would argue the biggest threat to the remaining EU27 is Britain leaving the EU and making a success of it.

The last thing the bureaucrats in Brussels want is for the remaining EU27 to hold a mirror up to themselves.

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 14:41 ----------

The front page of the [Metro newspaper] is Brexit-bashing again by regurgitating the old Borris bus campaign.

Remainers like to point out that if they had used the official ONS methodology and corrected the figure for rebates XYZ you're actually left with a net contribution of £200 million per week to the EU.

I'm sorry but does that suddenly make all the difference? It's still an obscene amount of money!

Edited by Puggie

I would argue the biggest threat to the remaining EU27 is Britain leaving the EU and making a success of it.

The last thing the bureaucrats in Brussels want is for the remaining EU27 to hold a mirror up to themselves.

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 14:41 ----------

The front page of the [Metro newspaper] is Brexit-bashing again by regurgitating the old Borris bus campaign.

Remainers like to point out that if they had used the official ONS methodology and corrected the figure for rebates XYZ you're actually left with a net contribution of £200 million per week to the EU.

I'm sorry but does that suddenly make all the difference? It's still an obscene amount of money!

Nobody in the EU is bothered about the UK even leaving the EU,let alone making a success of it,if it was,it would have made more concessions to Cameron before the referendum.

Nobody in the EU is bothered about the UK even leaving the EU,let alone making a success of it,if it was,it would have made more concessions to Cameron before the referendum.

They are very bothered about us leaving.

Since the referendum, all the EU has spoken about is money.

They are very bothered about us leaving.

Since the referendum, all the EU has spoken about is money.

All the UK have spoken about is the EU being scared to death of the UK leaving and taking their money,does Merkel sound like she's bothered?:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/27/angela-merkel-attacks-british-illusion-of-keeping-benefits-of-eu

Angela Merkel outlines Germany’s position on Brexit negotiations.

Philip Oltermann in Berlin and Dan Roberts

Thursday 27 April 2017 10.21 BST Last modified on Thursday 27 April 2017 13.57 BST

Angela Merkel has said British politicians are still living under the “illusion” that the UK will retain most of its rights and privileges once it leaves the European Union.

Addressing her parliament ahead of this weekend’s EU summit at which European leaders will formally adopt Brexit negotiation guidelines, the German chancellor said: “Countries with a third country status – and that’s what Great Britain will be – cannot and will not have the same or even more rights as a member of the European Union. All 27 member states and the European institutions agree on this.”

“Ladies and gentlemen,” she continued, “you may think that all this is self-evident. But I have to put this so clearly because I get the impression that some in Great Britain still have illusions about this, and that is a waste of time.”

Merkel also said it made “no sense” to negotiate a future UK-EU relationship without agreement on the UK’s financial commitment to the EU, while also hinting that parallel discussions could be possible once questions about budget contributions had been satisfied.

“We can only make a deal about Britain’s future relationship to the EU once all questions about the terms of its exit can be clarified to a satisfying degree.

“That means the sooner the British government is prepared to find constructive solutions, the sooner we can engage with their desire to already talk during the exit negotiations about the future relationship between the United Kingdom and the European Union. But first we need to know how Great Britain sees its future relationship with us.”

Merkel said all 27 members agreed that this could be the only order in which the talks could proceed.

Edited by chalga

Cameron never considered the possibility of us leaving, who's to say that had it been on the cards that concessions would then have been made.

Cameron never considered the possibility of us leaving, who's to say that had it been on the cards that concessions would then have been made.

I could imagine Cameron saying to the EU when he pretended to go cup in hand.... "Dont offer us a great deal to stay because they will never vote to leave the EU in the referendum" :loopy: