The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

In defense to Slient P - hes far from alone, (he can defend himself) that are great swathes of this country who have no idea about politics or economics more than the very base level. There will be tens of thousands of people who will vote for both parties (although mainly labour to be honest) who wont know who the leader is, let alone what the policies are. You had that donut on newsnight who voted leave because of straight (or indeed bendy) bananas and told the world through the medium of TV she did just that.

There were a few more in Leeds on Look North (which I rarely watch - I now know why) who didnt know what who was who what the policies were. It will be gut feeling, what their parents, fave celeb on twitter or dog say they should vote for. Im not sure if its a new phenominon or not.

It seems to me that a huge number of the electorate in this country have been put off politics and lost interest in voting because of the unfair and undemocratic voting system.

When you feel that your vote counts for nothing then it's easy to take the view ' why bother? '.

The fact that not one party which has formed a government has been able to claim even 50% of the votes cast since 1945 is an embarrassment to the country which claims to be democratic.

The EU vote attracted a significantly higher turnout than the previous General Election, and I have met at least two people who proudly stated that they had never voted before but came out to vote Leave.

An immensely complex question was being asked and people who had no real political insight or interest voted on an emotion.

Not their fault, Cameron's fault for abdicating responsibility for purely selfish party reasons.

An immensely complex question was being asked and people who had no real political insight or interest voted on an emotion.

It's called being human. We don't consume or analyze things in binary form. We often base our decisions and actions on emotion and passion.

They may not have had the political insight but they obviously had the interest as the turn out was I believe the highest ever recorded for a voting procedure. The turn out for this election upcoming will be nowhere near the referendum. Whichever way the electorate voted the interest was there.

They may not have had the political insight but they obviously had the interest as the turn out was I believe the highest ever recorded for a voting procedure. The turn out for this election upcoming will be nowhere near the referendum. Whichever way the electorate voted the interest was there.

I agree and that is a good thing. About the only good thing mind you, but optimism and all that! :hihi:

It's called being human. We don't consume or analyze things in binary form. We often base our decisions and actions on emotion and passion.

Which is fine in many respects, but not when reaching what was a decision which will effect so many lives.

I worked in management for years and then formed and successfully ran my own business for over 16 years, how do you think I'd have gone on if I'd based my business decisions on emotion and passion?

Obviously I had both an emotional and passionate connection to my previous employers, and even more so to my own business, but when reaching decisions which could mean the difference between success and failure those feelings needed to be held in check and rationality employed.

The decision to leave the EU was basically a business decision in that it involved the future well being of the citizens of the UK.

In post 2236 I explained my reasoning behind the way I voted and it addressed the emotional subjects of immigration and sovereignty.

The least that should be asked for on such an important subject is that some thought be applied to your decision, and that you can provide a rationale behind your choice.

My rationale has been provided, I await a response from a Leaver which contains more than gut feel, unfounded optimism with nothing to back it up and a jingoistic desire to put the Great back into Britain.

---------- Post added 28-04-2017 at 15:58 ----------

I have an interest in football, I've been watching it for over 60 years and had a season ticket for the last 45 years.

Despite which the manager has never contacted me to seek my advice on team selection.

He/They appear to have some weird belief that because it's their job and they are paid to make those decisions they should do so.

You know, just like MPs are supposed to make decisions on our behalf.

I worked in management for years and then formed and successfully ran my own business for over 16 years, how do you think I'd have gone on if I'd based my business decisions on emotion and passion?

I can assure you that many of the world's most successful companies are where they are today because they've been driven by human emotion and passion, the financial reward is simply a by-product.

David Hume the 18th century Scottish philosopher once said "Reason is the slave of the passions". In other words we as human beings will often base our decisions on passions first and then try to justify them post-hoc using reasoning.

Isn't that exactly what everyone is doing on this thread?

Facts and figures matter, but they only matter in ways which feeds through human emotion.

Edited by Puggie

Carlinate I understand MPs are elected to be my voice. But my local MP I did not vote for so does not represent me and the fly in the ointment is that they tend to vote using their own feelings/desires, such as Angela Smith, my MP, who represents a leave area yet voted against/abstained due to her beliefs. Hardly representing me or the rest of the electorate.

This was a vote where I , however minutely, had a direct impact on how this country went forward. The fact that my minute vote together with millions more had a direct result is a victory of democracy. It actually was one person one vote where every vote counted unlike electing an mp where first passed the post mattered and the opposing votes did not. Each vote in the referendum carried an equal value, the democratic result was in response to a direct yes/no question,cannot get any more democratic than that.