The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

I made this argument many pages and I was shot down.

Well as I know at least two people who've admitted as much to me, then I'm on your side on this one.

There will be loads I'm sure, but many won't admit it because they feel a bit foolish as to how it turned out.

When you consider that the polls, most of the media,the bookies plus Farage ( just before the result ) all thought Remain would win, a protest vote wouldn't have seemed such a bad idea.

Contrast May's measured, sober, restrained and dignified comments on the Brexit negotiations with the intemperate, uncompromising and threatening language coming from the likes of Juncker, Verhofstadt and other EU bully boys. In particular, it is clear that Juncker will do his very best to wreck any deal.

Did I get it right 8 days ago?

No. There is indeed trouble stemming from the EU negotiations but those problems are pretty much solely being caused by the UKs cake and eat it desires. As predicted by nearly every remainer. As was the fact that all the leavers would blame the EU because of course it couldn't be *our* doing now could it?

Contrast May's measured, sober, restrained and dignified comments on the Brexit negotiations with the intemperate, uncompromising and threatening language coming from the likes of Juncker, Verhofstadt and other EU bully boys. In particular, it is clear that Juncker will do his very best to wreck any deal.

May can't say anything other than 'the negotiations are going fine' because it would undermine her election campaign to admit things aren't going well.

I'm convinced many Leave votes were driven by protest and dissatisfaction with the status quo, in a referendum unlike a British Election, all votes count.

I made this argument many pages and I was shot down.

Were you shot down with reasoned argument or by baloney?

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 12:30 ----------

Contrast May's measured, sober, restrained and dignified comments on the Brexit negotiations...

Eh?! Squawking "strong and stable" over and over like a deluded parrot?

Edited by Hairyloon

May can't say anything other than 'the negotiations are going fine' because it would undermine her election campaign to admit things aren't going well.

This may well be true, but I think the intemperate and uncompromising language coming from Brussels would be the same regardless of whether May had called an election or not.

No. There is indeed trouble stemming from the EU negotiations but those problems are pretty much solely being caused by the UKs cake and eat it desires. As predicted by nearly every remainer. As was the fact that NEARLY all the leavers would blame the EU because of course it couldn't be *our* doing now could it?

I've corrected your typo :D

From this mornings news it seems that the EU Commission has a mid term review of the EU milti annual budget which needs signing and theUK is refusing to sign it until after the election. That vetos it for the time being. If we actually do sign it I think it puts us in the position that we then become bound by any financial arrangement this "budget" lists. It could be that if we do sign it the €60 billion would become part of the "divorce" bill because we have agreed to payments whch arise after the negotiattions are finished. If I were Theresa I wouldn't sign anyhting off which can come back to bite us when we do discuss the final settlements for Brexit. I could be one of the big sticks in our negotiationg package.

Contrast May's measured, sober, restrained and dignified comments on the Brexit negotiations with the intemperate, uncompromising and threatening language coming from the likes of Juncker, Verhofstadt and other EU bully boys.
Ah yes, Juncker, whom the Brexit-pushing side of UK politics got elected in the first place at the time, by abstaining in the Commission election.

Lest we forget: Juncker ended up being elected by 30 seats over his nearest rival. Now, the UK holds 73 seats. UKIP alone took 24 seats, the Tories another 19. Both parties abstained during the election, so their seats effectively consented to the vote outcome, whatever it may turn out to be. Only the LibDem and Labour seats voted, and both voted against Junker.

The ironing is properly delicious here :D

In particular, it is clear that Juncker will do his very best to wreck any deal.
So far, it looks like the wrecking begins substantially at No.10 and in Whitehall, tbh.

Juncker can certainly be expected to do his very best (within the constraints of his appointment, that is) to wreck any deal unfavourable to the EU.

Surely you'd expect (and have every right to do so) Ms May to do the same for any deal unfavourable to the UK?

Why so surprised, then? :)

Edited by L00b
late notice of typo

European politicians are not like the UK lot. They are used to the inuendo type of politics whereby tales of one sort or anoher to discredit the opposition are all part and parcel of their devious machinations to get the upper hand. Dave Cameron was a sucker in their eyes when he told them what they wanted to hear. In thei veiw, at that time, using the European bargaining picture they thought that it was a done deal. When it became obvious that it wasn't then they didn't like it one bit. In short, Cameron had let them down badly by not making sure that he won the referendum. If that took some fiddling, or dodgy dealings, to do then, in their book, that is what he should have done. Honesty in political dealings is not in their understanding. If you look at the French elections, and the ones they had in Italy, telling lies, or half truths, about the opposition is the norm. That is what has happened with the Junker and No 10 talks. Junker didn't like Theresa May's stance so he went back to Brussels and told a different tale to that which had happened. This has now gone viral and we can expect more of the same during the negotiations and even before they actually start

Edited by Escafeldia