The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

I'm sure it wasn't your intention but you've just painted a rather dismal picture of Britain being enslaved to the European Union and unable to charter it's own course.

The idea that ANY country can, in this day and age ' Charter its own course ' is wishful thinking.

The days of Empire, gunboat diplomacy and just rolling up stealing what you want and using violence against any objectors are over for all countries.

These days a developed country needs innovation, design, manufacturing and marketing capability.

It needs to nurture and exploit its capability to adapt to changing circumstances and it needs the ability to be able to negotiate with both customers and competitors to its advantage.

Unfortunately, I have serious reservations about the talents of those in positions of power at present.

We are a country that has shown an ability to invent and produce in the past.

What we haven't shown a great aptitude for is taking it to the next level and continuing to develop and improve following the initial phase.

We invented trains, compare our trains with those on the continent or America or Japan etc.

That pattern has been replicated too many time to provide comfort.

The ruling class have been far too happy to put all their eggs in one basket over the years.

The City of London and financial services in general have been favoured over industry time and time again

I worked in the private sector but not in industry so it hasn't had a direct effect on me but I think its been shortsighted and left us at a disadvantage.

Bit in bold: link me to it, and I'll check my own posting history as there's every chance I predicted Brexiteers blaming the EU for not getting their way before you ;)

You can be guaranteed that the EU will be blamed if Brexit goes belly up, and we will be peddled the lie that, were it not for the EU's "intransigence" on <insert random issue here>, it would have been great.

We'll also be told that the EU's stance "confirms why we were right to leave the EU" and that the UK is "so lucky to be out of it", and then we'll get all the jingoistic petty nationalism, Rule Britannia, red, white and blue and all that nonsense by way of Leavers' ego-massaging laxative placebo ([again)

I don't believe that a substantial portion of Leavers are like that, but I do believe that there is enough of a minority of them who really do believe this guff. Most of those on here who quote links to the Express, for starters ;):D

IMHO, the best thing would still be for Brexit to take the hardest of formats (crash straight out onto WTO MFN), then the British people will bear the full consequences of what they've democratically chosen and, who knows, that sharp slap might be the very thing needed to bring some semblance of reality back to Britain after jettisoning themselves from the world's largest integrated market.

At least, with a hard Brexit, the likes of IDS, Farage, Gove, Bojo et al would be given exactly what they campaigned for as wanting, and what so many Leave voters bought into, whereby if it all goes wrong, there will be no possible (logic) way to blame the EU, the rest of the world, or anyone else (not that it will stop them from trying, of course).

So how about it, NigelFargate?

Hard Brexit tomorrow morning, there and them, done: who's for it?

First hand up is here :)

The hardest of Brexits would be the one which still leaves the UK entangled with the EU's policies and decisional structures and which would require substantial contributions to the EU budget. I will leave you to search my posts where I have said several times that the likes of Juncker and Verhofstadt have no interest in a fair and reasonable settlement and are out to wreck any deal of this kind, even to the detriment of the EU.

The hardest of Brexits would be the one which still leaves the UK entangled with the EU's policies and decisional structures and which would require substantial contributions to the EU budget. I will leave you to search my posts where I have said several times that the likes of Juncker and Verhofstadt have no interest in a fair and reasonable settlement and are out to wreck any deal of this kind, even to the detriment of the EU.

Find a backbone and walk away from it,instead of trying to get access back into it,tomorrow would be nice.

As it stands the UK has a privileged position in Europe, with a veto and an exemption from "ever closer union".

Doesn't that just highlight the EU's indended direction of travel?

Should we really be jumping for joy whilst the rest of the European Union destroys every last ounce of nationalism in exchange for a federalist super-state?

The EU project is no longer about trade and doing business with one another. If it was we probably wouldn't be here talking about leaving the EU today.

The European political project has been engineering itself into a pariah with grand ambitions of building castles in the sky with it's own national anthem and national army. They despise the very idea of national identity and pride in one's own country. They've made it politically unacceptable to celebrate being British. Europeanization of our national identity is to blame for this and its been well documented.

Not too long ago it was acceptable to be British and proud of it. Enjoying the good feelings of patriotism was acceptable by many people across all segments of our society.

During the last 2015 General Election there was only one mainstream party that was brave enough to include our national flag in their manifesto. It was the Conservative party.

How have we allowed things to stoop this low?

I have serious reservations about the talents of those in positions of power at present.

I kid you not, I got excited when I heard May was described as being "on another galaxy" by the EU grumps.

It's usually the kind of remark you give someone operating on another level and thinking outside the box. People with ambitions and dreams that seem unachievable to many usually get that sort of reaction.

Doesn't that just highlight the EU's indended direction of travel?

Should we really be jumping for joy whilst the rest of the European Union destroys every last ounce of nationalism in exchange for a federalist super-state?

The EU project is no longer about trade and doing business with one another. If it was we probably wouldn't be here talking about leaving the EU today.

The European political project has been engineering itself into a pariah with grand ambitions of building castles in the sky with it's own national anthem and national army. They despise the very idea of national identity and pride in one's own country. They've made it politically unacceptable to celebrate being British. Europeanization of our national identity is to blame for this and its been well documented.

Not too long ago it was acceptable to be British and proud of it. Enjoying the good feelings of patriotism was acceptable by many people across all segments of our society.

During the last 2015 General Election there was only one mainstream party that was brave enough to include our national flag in their manifesto. It was the Conservative party.

How have we allowed things to stoop this low?

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Little England Party,there are other parties..............etc etc.

Cameron went to the EU with no intention of getting a good deal because he never thought that we would vote to leave in the referendum. I can imagine them all sat round smoking cigars, drinking brandy and laughing.

The arrogance of Juncker is one of the main reasons i wanted to leave.

And now his disrespect of the democratic vote has assured me that i voted correctly.

Cameron went to the EU with no intention of getting a good deal because he never thought that we would vote to leave in the referendum. I can imagine them all sat round smoking cigars, drinking brandy and laughing.

The arrogance of Juncker is one of the main reasons i wanted to leave.

And now his disrespect of the democratic vote has assured me that i voted correctly.

Where is he disrespecting a democratic vote?

Juncker and other EU ideologues have a history of disrespecting democratic votes within the member states, if those votes challenge EU orthodoxies and aspirations.

Why not the Uk vote then?

The European Union "respects and regrets" Britain's decision to leave but is not at risk from Brexit, European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker has said in a keynote speech.

Juncker used his annual State of the Union speech to reject claims Britain's exit signalled the start of a breakdown of the European political project.

"Allow me to state here and today that we respect and at the same time regret the UK decision but the European Union as such is not at risk," he said.