The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

However, we have no idea what Churchill's views on Europe would be if he were alive today.

I'm pretty sure he'd raise his eyebrows at prospect of us being members! The vision of a 'United States of Europe' was very much a remedy for the rest of mainland Europe.

The Anglo-American special relationship built during the war years by Churchil and Roosevelt very much placed Britain as an Atlantic power and a cut above the fracas of the mainland.

There's clearly a window of opportunity to restore the old dynamic. President Trump restoring the bust of Churchil in the White House was very symbolic of the sort of relationship he wants to restore with Britain.

Brexit is going to afford Britain the freedom to maneuver itself in the world, to stand tall and to build something worthwhile. Perhaps even restore its sense of purpose. Bring on v2.0 :P

The suspiciously round figure of 100 billion euros as the price for continuing negotiations is hardly encouraging. What is worse is that the U is demanding that the UK not only grants EU migrants to UK the same rights as other EU citizens in perpetuity (even if they arrive the day before Brexit) but that the European Court of Justice still has jurisdiction over them. The EU seems determined to entangle the UK in EU policies and legal processes, even after we leave.

some nonsense about sovrinty.

Oh yeah.. who cares about the nation state when you can be citizen of nowhere in a borderless world with no meaning or purpose. Sounds grand!

Not always like that, one paragraph from the "BBC on this day" website for 06th June 1975, about the origanal in/out EEC referendum.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Members of the "No" campaign accepted their defeat and promised to work constructively within the EEC.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I mean that can't be right can it, aren't the losers of a referendum supposed to stamp their feet, have mass protests, insult their opponents and demand an immediate second vote because people didn't know what they were voting for, suppose it must be a lie.

Hmmm, so what you are saying is that we had a referendum before but have rejected the outcome of that original referendum...

How did that rejection come about... oh yes,... by stamping their feet, have mass protests, insult their opponents and demand an second vote

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 19:05 ----------

I love the bit about separatists who want to tear this country apart - there she goes again - it is all about me me me Mrs Mayhem.

Not always like that, one paragraph from the "BBC on this day" website for 06th June 1975, about the origanal in/out EEC referendum.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Members of the "No" campaign accepted their defeat and promised to work constructively within the EEC.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I mean that can't be right can it, aren't the losers of a referendum supposed to stamp their feet, have mass protests, insult their opponents and demand an immediate second vote because people didn't know what they were voting for, suppose it must be a lie.

..don't forget the petition

Alas, that was then, this is now.

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 21:49 ----------

Hmmm, so what you are saying is that we had a referendum before but have rejected the outcome of that original referendum...

How did that rejection come about... oh yes,... by stamping their feet, have mass protests, insult their opponents and demand an second vote

Did you make that up coz I can't find anything like that :)

Jean Claude Juncker says the English language is 'Slowly but surely losing importance'.

Stating facts, yes. Do you have a problem with that?

Well yes. English ceased to be properly significant years ago. Most international business is conducted in Simplified English (aka American).

Stating facts, yes. Do you have a problem with that?

It's politics. He knows that post-Brexit the UK wants to strenghthen the English language and bring together the English-speaking world as one club.