The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

​Re Scotland:

The separatists are simply riding the wave. It will cool down with time.

It is rather difficult for separatists to make a sound economic argument for independence when 65% of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK. The EU only accounts for 15% of it's trade. [details here]

Might also be worth pointing out that Scottish independence doesn't make them an EU member state. They'll have to apply for membership which isn't guaranteed and I don't think there's much appetite to adopt the Euro currency!

Inject arguments of a hard border with the UK and the MoD removing its nuclear arsenal and suddenly the idea of Scottish independence doesn't seem so grand.

We joined the EU as one United Kingdom and we will leave as such.

I'm sure there will be another Scottish referendum in due course, but lets not forget it was only 3 years ago that Scotts were asked if they wanted independence from the UK and we all know what their answer was.

They were lied to three years ago as well. Its well documented. For the web of lies both sides spun it was like a dry run for the EU referendum.

Scotland has 25% of the EU's wind and tidal power potential. I'm sure they'll sell us electricity, at a price

The "natural resources" you were banging on about were wind and wave machines?

I genuinely love you, you're truly making my weekend :hihi:

I'm going to research Scotlands monopoly on windy weather. And yeah, I hope they don't rip us off when we have to buy electricty from them

I've changed my mind on Brexit, we should have remained!

Edited by crookesjoe

I'm in agreement with you (I know, weird huh) I have no migrant issue, but I do have a benefits issue and for me at least the two aren't connected.

This is the thing, people are angry that migrants are doing jobs that most British people wouldn't last a week in. That's only part of the story though because although many businesses have high numbers of workers from the EU there are almost always British workers at the same places - managers, admin, engineers etc...

When businesses find they don't have a full workforce available what are they going to do? Probably leave the UK unless something is done to funnel British workers into place.

Those jobs that are hard to fill now will get even harder to fill if wage controls are removed. The only way to get British people into them would be through a punitive sanctioning regime, perhaps backed by generous income top-ups from the state to get people up to some kind of minimum income.

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 10:41 ----------

The "natural resources" you were banging on about were wind and wave machines?

I genuinely love you, you're truly making my weekend :hihi:

I'm going to research Scotlands monopoly on windy weather. And yeah, I hope they don't rip us off when we have to buy electricty from them

I've changed my mind on Brexit, we should have remained!

Almost all the UK's oil, 60% of all EU oil production. A massive proportion of the UK's natural energy resources, 25% of all potential in the EU. The richest fishing grounds - 20% of the EU's fishing grounds.

Be dismissive of that if you want but if we don't have it and Scotland joins the EU, then the EU will have it not what is left of the UK.

I1L2T3 what makes you think that if Scotland suddenly voted independent that they would automatically gain ownership of the waters currently belonging to the UNITED KINGDOM?

It would literally take an act of war for a newly independent Scotland to start marking out ocean territories and claiming ownership of whatever was off their coast.

I'm a bit of troll at times yes, but I'm really serious when I say you don't have a clue what you're going on about here sorry.

I1L2T3 what makes you think that if Scotland suddenly voted independent that they would automatically gain ownership of the waters currently belonging to the UNITED KINGDOM?

It would literally take an act of war for a newly independent Scotland to start marking out ocean territories and claiming ownership of whatever was off their coast.

I'm a bit of troll at times yes, but I'm really serious when I say you don't have a clue what you're going on about here sorry.

But they aren't new - they were defined in the Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundaries Order 1999.

Map here: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8de6d01778ffaf7868a05997956e984d

This is the thing, people are angry that migrants are doing jobs that most British people wouldn't last a week in. That's only part of the story though because although many businesses have high numbers of workers from the EU there are almost always British workers at the same places - managers, admin, engineers etc...

When businesses find they don't have a full workforce available what are they going to do? Probably leave the UK unless something is done to funnel British workers into place.

It's a conundrum isn't it!

I'm not so sure that all businesses have the option to uproot so a solution needs to be found. Now you'd think that a population of 65 million would offer hope wouldn't you.

You're right. It's too late. Lets just get on with wrecking the economy. Happy days.

No, it is not too late to avoid wrecking the economy, it is simply futile to argue over the stupidity of people voting for bent bananas.

What we need to do is address the real problem, which is the fundaental breakdown of our system of governance...

The United Kingdom as it currently stands would cease to exist and obviously the coastal waters of Scotland would belong to Scotland.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the United Kingdom would be gone/extinct/nothin/nada if Scotland voted for independence?

No, it is not too late to avoid wrecking the economy, it is simply futile to argue over the stupidity of people voting for bent bananas.

What we need to do is address the real problem, which is the fundaental breakdown of our system of governance...

Oooops!...........

Edited by silentP