The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

The ill will of Brexiteers towards the EU is rather pathetic. The UK voted to leave, result. Now stop trying to destabilise other nations. The outburst by Farage is just fuel onto the fire when it comes to these negotiations, that of course is the ulterior motive of hard line Brexiteers who want to see a full break from the EU but they are continuously ignoring the veracity of issues that face them.

The worse they make the negotiations for the UK, the more likely there will be a hard border in Ireland, to name but one massive issue. With the political situation in NI as it is, that could well trigger Trouble 2.0.

Two can play the prediction game, so in opposition to Leavers' hope of EU and French woes, here's mine.

NI will UKexit by referendum, then integrate with the Republic and reintegrate the EU, East-West Germany-style, within the next 5 years.

It's the no border solution of convenience pushed by the EU, which isn't being fought much at all by Leavers (particularly Davis, and equally for convenience's sake), and the Republic will get bucketloads (-more) EU money as a sweetener, to level up NI socio-economically.

Within the same timeframe, if not sooner, Scotland will get its IndyRef2 and, this time, UKexit; then be promptly welcomed into the EFTA by Norway, Iceland and Brussels. Gibraltar won't lag far behind NI and Scotland, to avoid becoming socio-economically blockaded by Spain (-preventing the extension of whatever UK deal gets agreed with the EU to Gibraltar).

Within 10 years if not less, the "UK" (England effectively, given Wales' current socio-economic level) will end up a low tax one-party state still led by a seemingly unmovable ultra-conservative government, with record levels of social and geographical inequality, and hard borders all around, including with Ireland and Scotland. It will be doing well with 4i developments and associated exports, primarily out of London, which will still concentrate wealth and opportunities there, with little else elsewhere.

But in the "pathetic|" stakes, you could hardly do worse than this: some Brit on twitter posted yesterday that he had £500 on Le Pen to win. When the results came in, he contacted Ladbrokes to complain that they allowed his 13 year-old to place the bet, and that he'd be taking it further. Solid comedy gold :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Just for reference are you using the term brexiteers to engulf all leavers?

IMO, simply voting to leave does not make one a Brexiteer: that is a term I use for those who are frothing at the mouth (metaphorically) over it. Leavers are somewhere in between.

In a similar way that you have people who vote for a party, party members and party activists: three fairly clear levels of commitment.

Just watched ITV news about an asparagus farmer who employs 95% Eastern European seasonal workers to pick the crop and said "Without them I would go out of business, there isn't enough local labour", fair enough but I wonder what happened before the Berlin wall came down at the end of the 80's, did the asparagus pick itself and fly into the supermarkets or maybe the magic fairies at the bottom of the garden picked it? Most puzzling.

Maybe just another lie by the wicked Tory media, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Just watched ITV news about an asparagus farmer who employs 95% Eastern European seasonal workers to pick the crop and said "Without them I would go out of business, there isn't enough local labour", fair enough but I wonder what happened before the Berlin wall came down at the end of the 80's, did the asparagus pick itself and fly into the supermarkets or maybe the magic fairies at the bottom of the garden picked it? Most puzzling.

Mmm, Asparagus that popular vegetable that everybody in the UK eats.

---------- Post added 08-05-2017 at 18:54 ----------

Gypsies and other itinerants...

When I was fruit picking in Somerset and and other places there were no Gypsies to bee seen on the farms and that was around 1995.

Asparagus harvesting is actually fairly skilled but utterly back breaking work. Each stalk has be be cut individually at just the right place which means repeatedly bending down to make the cut.

Know many British people who will break off from another job to be bussed out to the middle of nowhere for £7 an hour?

Whatever happened then isn't going to help the farmer or the asparagus,so it's all down to Mrs May to come up with an answer,maybe she'll blame the EU for lining up against us to destroy our asparagus.

Edited by chalga