The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

I think that was Groucho Marx Brian. The best shock for Marxists, as I've said before, is to enlighten them that he was an out-and-out racist. Check out his 1830's letters to Engels and see what they both said about the 'half-breed' Lascelles. "I see he's moved near to the zoo, best place for him !" ( not quoting word-for-word, but check it out.)

What was I thinking, trusting you to look up the link, and show a bit of objectivity :roll:

Looks like you can't be ar5ed (and/or perhaps unsurprisingly, find it convenient to focus on the excerpt only), so here is the full paragraph at the link, with the bit I missed earlier in bold:

Happy to let you reconsider your earlier reply, in your own time.

That "cake and eat it" phrasing is YouGov's wording at the link, exactly as quoted, not mine (or my argument).

It's not that I'm getting fed up of your putting words in my mouth/posts time and time again, because your doing so does you much more of a disservice on here.

But you might want to clean up your act sometime, lest readers begin to think that you've got to invent arguments and opinions that I haven't posted in order to keep up.

it was you who selected and included the paragraph, not me. Now you are saying that it is not your argument. You could have fooled me.

as for the extended quote, it does not invalidate the cake and eat it aspiration, because it hinges on the meaning of 'free trade'. This normally means the promotion of trade between countries under WTO rules (or variations of these) rather than the complete absence of any barriers to trade across the borders of states. There are of course various permutations of trading relationship in the global trading system, but to argue that only countries within a bloc such as the EU have 'free trade' is stretching a point (in fact, by no means all barriers to trade between member states have been abolished, so in a literal sense, the EU does not have a completed free trade regime either).

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 16:27 ----------

I think that was Groucho Marx Brian. The best shock for Marxists, as I've said before, is to enlighten them that he was an out-and-out racist. Check out his 1830's letters to Engels and see what they both said about the 'half-breed' Lascelles. "I see he's moved near to the zoo, best place for him !" ( not quoting word-for-word, but check it out.)

Yes, Marx was a racist among his many other faults. In this sense and others, he was a typical 19th century bourgeois, with many of the prejudices of his class. He was also a terrible snob, who got his housemaid pregnant and sought to blame Engels, from whom he was always cadging money.

The best shock for marxists would be for them to read some scholarly critiques of Marx, by for example, Kolakowski (The Main Currents of Marxism). Can Labour have a future when the Shadow Chancellor is an avowed Marxist?

Loob is known for his selective quotations and urls. However, his ability to select quotations which support his arguments seems to have deserted him.

Edited by NigelFargate

Loob is known for his selective quotations and urls. However, his ability to select quotations which support his arguments seems to have deserted him.

Be fair, after 147 pages perhaps there's not many left :hihi:

So, you're not beyond playing the man when you can't play the ball. Stay classy there, Nigel :hihi:

it was you who selected and included the paragraph, not me. Now you are saying that it is not your argument. You could have fooled me.
I am not, and would now ask you to quote where have I said or posted that it's "not my argument", or retract.

In your own time.

Edited by L00b

The number of those wishing to Leave the EU has grown in numbers according to a new YouGov poll.

The poll has found that many Remainers feel the government now has a duty to deliver on Brexit and therefore want Brexit delivered.

This brings the total pro-Brexit electorate to 68%

Source: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/forget-52-rise-re-leavers-mean-pro-brexit-electora/

The number of those wishing to Leave the EU has grown in numbers according to a new YouGov poll.

The poll has found that many Remainers feel the government now has a duty to deliver on Brexit and therefore want Brexit delivered.

This brings the total pro-Brexit electorate to 68%

Source: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/forget-52-rise-re-leavers-mean-pro-brexit-electora/

You appear to have an English comprehension problem. From that article:

There is a third group who change the dynamics of EU-related arguments – the “Re-Leavers.” These are people who voted to Remain in the EU and many still think that leaving was the wrong decision, but crucially now believe the government has a duty to carry out the will of the British people.

Accepting it's going to happen doesn't mean they've suddenly become pro-Brexit. If you look at the answer they chose on the YouGov survey "I did not support Britain leaving the EU, but now the British people have voted to leave the government has a duty to carry out their wishes and leave" it's entirely about accepting the result - nothing about supporting it.