The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

You're absolutely right. Perhaps the author of the YouGov article does too.

You're just being tribal and trying to categorize people.

I voted remain. I would really like for this whole thing to stop but I know it wont. But I do believe that having come this far it should be delivered.

That doesn't make me pro-Brexit. It means I pragmatically accept the situation with an added serious concern about Brexit implementation. I want the softest Brexit possible with a baked-in transition period.

I'm not one of your 68%

<...>

That doesn't make me pro-Brexit. It means I pragmatically accept the situation with an added serious concern about Brexit implementation. I want the softest Brexit possible with a baked-in transition period.

Between May's surefire win at the GE as the proverbial rock, and EU businesses and supply chains busy implementing contingency plans already as the proverbial hard place...you ain't getting a soft Brexit, never mind the 'softest' of them, in real terms.

After 11 months of threatening rethoric deliberately sustaining total socio-economic uncertainty about the UK's aims and plans, it's far too late. Businesses wait for no politician, and are voting with their wallets.

You're absolutely right. Perhaps the author of the YouGov article does too.

If a supposedly independent polling organisation can spin such a conclusion from the answers to that question they asked in their poll you have to be suspicious about their impartiality.

Between May's surefire win at the GE as the proverbial rock, and EU businesses and supply chains busy implementing contingency plans already as the proverbial hard place...you ain't getting a soft Brexit, never mind the 'softest' of them, in real terms.

After 11 months of threatening rethoric deliberately sustaining total socio-economic uncertainty about the UK's aims and plans, it's far too late. Businesses wait for no politician, and are voting with their wallets.

I know the genie is out of the bottle. See it every single day at work.

Oddly, I don't know a single remain voter who has decided that it's a good thing that we're leaving. The yougov survey (based on my anecdotal sample of friends) is complete hogwash. (Of course nearly every friend I have, and indeed acquaintance voted remain, and they are all universally concerned that we are still heading for a disaster).

I know the genie is out of the bottle. See it every single day at work.
I know you do, so why are you (still) expecting that UK politicians may be able to round the sharp corners and deliver "the softest possible Brexit with a baked in transition period"? :confused:

Bar the odd and rare exception, there's nothing the UK has and does, which businesses in the EU27 cannot replace if they find it cheaper and/or better elsewhere, in the EU our outside of it. Goods, services, markets.

And we've all long seen how the EU looks after its own (including the UK, for the last 40-odd years). Indeed that EU protectionism has been one of the many bugbears of Leavers.

Now, the UK has chosen to ditch the competitive advantage which its EU membership conferred to its businesses with EU purchasers, relative to businesses from the rest of the world, whether FTA'd or not.

And, by very vocally deciding to ditch the entire lot up to and including Customs Union, the UK has decided to line itself up with the US, India, China, Russia <..> when touting for EU business.

And that's the objective, dispassionate look at things, before we've considered the shrill anti-EU garbage coming out of Westminster for the past 11 months, e.g. lately Johnson's calls for the EU to pay a divorce bill to the UK (:roll:). And I'm not going to go onto the political, borderline tinfoil hat, stuff like how the UK exiting the EU and the jurisdiction of the ECJ opens the door to US investments (phagociting public and private services and markets with the lightest of regulatory touches) so wide, it's taking that door off its hinges, TTIP was a draft-like.

So why expect any 'soft Brexit' and 'long transition' and such other favours from the EU, as the UK wants to become a third party country? It's wholly illogical :huh:

You and I both know that, bar any unforeseen and earth-shattering event like a world war or whatnot, the UK is coming out, and that it ain't going to be pretty, by a very long stretch and for a very long time.

The time for arguments, debates and 'hopes' is well past. Stay on the ship and man the pumps, willingly or grudgingly matters not. Or GTFO.

Edited by L00b

The time for arguments, debates and 'hopes' is well past. Stay on the ship and man the pumps, willingly or grudgingly matters not. Or GTFO.

Mutiny is the other option... Or better, relieve the captain of his command on proper grounds.

Mutiny is the other option...
Objectively, with the larger Conservatives majority expected on June 08, mutiny is simply not an option.

The GE is just formalising the authoritarian blank cheque which May and her cohorts have been enjoying for the past 10 months or so, looking to be copper-fastened by the Investigatory Powers Act (and similar instruments, in conjunction).

Mutiny will be 'processed' as terrorism and quietly suppressed, velleities of whistleblowing will be strongly discouraged, and don't expect a word about it in the Brexit- and May-supporting MSM.

As galling and deflating as admitting it may be.

EDIT - neither is relieve the captain of his command on proper grounds, because (to my knowledge) there are no such "proper grounds". The 'best' you could expect, is the whole Mercer/Bannon/Cambridge Analytica/Putin scandal to blow up soon enough, and large enough, to severely affect the chances of an <actual> Brexit taking place. Even then, Farage and Gove's heads -maybe a few more, Dacre's if we're lucky- may roll. But not May's.

Edited by L00b

Objectively, with the larger Conservatives majority expected on June 08, mutiny is simply not an option.

It is probably the only option.

Mutiny will be 'processed' as terrorism and quietly suppressed...

That depends upon how it is done. There is no need for violence.

EDIT - neither is relieve the captain of his command on proper grounds, because (to my knowledge) there are no such "proper grounds"...

Ah, that is where the analogy breaks down. There are a number of ways that the captain of a ship can be lawfully and rightfully relieved of his command.