The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

And to top it off, we've now, after a needless election, got a dogs breakfast of a government with the rudder being glued together by some very dodgy MPs from Northern Ireland which could in turn make Northern Ireland unstable again. If I had written how the last 12 months have panned out as a book as little as 18 months ago I'd have been laughed at for producing something so far fetched. And it's of our own making, completely. Not content in shooting ourselves in the foot, we've shot the other one. There's still a chance we could shoot ourselves again within 6 months. The country is a laughing stock.

I hope Theresa puts on her best underwear when Donald comes a-callin' because she's going to have to put out.

I agree in the main, but don't you think the seeds of this situation were sown in the economic crash of 2008, followed by things like the MPs expenses scandal when total distrust of politicians and the elite set in? They also see the EU as a money pit and a hotbed of corruption so they want out.

Basically, most people want honesty and fairness, and they're not getting it. This is the result.

Guest sibon
Most people should probably buy a better class of newspaper. :(

There you go again, making the same old mistake.

Most people don't buy a newspaper of any class.

That was part of the Tory downfall

I am becoming more convinced that the Electorate is thinking with surprising coherence: the referendum vote was the only sensible option in the circumstances as was this election vote.

It just seems too canny to simply be happenstance.

There is no coherence in this election result, with the small exception that the scots, quite sensibly, don't want indyref2. That's it.

A hung parliament was the only sensible thing to vote for.

True enough given the choice we had. What's needed is someone to pop along, someone with charisma, someone not fixed on lame promises, someone fresh that can add a bit of zing to this tired United Kingdom.

You missed out the Indian and Philippino nurses.......
Can't help yourself, can you? :roll:

You've been such a staunch Leaver on here all along, but to my knowledge you've never explained why. Perhaps you can link me to an earlier post?

If I am right and you haven't (-explained why), then consider this: the NHS, non-EU immigration, education, dysfunctional privatised industries, all these electoral hot topics of the past 6 weeks or so...these are all a mess, and have at all times been totally under the control of the government, since long before the EU referendum, in fact since long before the Conservatives promised it in 2013.

People seemingly have this notion, that getting rid of the EU will solve these and all other problems. Do they still believe in the £350m magic bus or something?

I have to wonder, as I have yet to hear what the issues with the EU are, that are causing these problems.

So, what has the EU done that has caused the mess in the NHS and schools?

Why does non-EU immigration (which, with the points system VISA practiced by the UK since 2008, still manages to be higher than EU immigration) continues at current levels, given that EU has nothing to do with it?

What has the EU done to contribute to the increase in inequality since the recession?

What has the EU got to do with the fact that not enough houses have been built, for decades?

What has the EU got to do with the fact that the standards of British universities continue to fall down the international rankings?

What EU laws do people want revoked, and what to replace them with?

What happens the to UK citizens living/working/retired in the EU?

Apart from some nice slogans, there is nothing that anybody really agrees on, and still less of a direction for negotiations. The last election was supposed to be, according to the Conservatives, all about Brexit. But we still learned practically nothing during the election, as to what it actually means. "Brexit means Brexit" is still the 'best' metric we have.

I just don't understand how, a year after the vote, and about 2 months after the GE campaign was called, people are still not demanding these answers from their government and MPs.

Given the current state of things and the Article 50 clock ticking in the background, I can't see how the UK can avoid crashing out of the EU like a ball of flames at end March 2019 :|

Edited by L00b

The last election was supposed to be, according to the Conservatives, all about Brexit.

It was, yet it was barely mentioned. The issues Corbyn campaigned on were virtually all domestic. Student loans, the NHS, re-nationalisation of water, gas, electric, railways, state support for industry, ending zero hour contracts, giving better employment protection and an end to austerity. Nothing about Brexit.

Whilst the Tories just said Brexit is Brexit and I'm guessing they don't know what that means or at least can't agree what thet means.

You couldn't make UK politics up.

Edited by Harrystottle

It was, yet it was barely mentioned. The issues Corbyn campaigned on were virtually all domestic. Student loans, the NHS, re-nationalisation of water, gas, electric, railways, state support for industry, ending zero hour contracts, giving better employment protection and an end to austerity. Nothing about Brexit.

Whilst the Tories just said Brexit is Brexit and I'm guessing they don't know what that means or at least can't agree what thet means.

You couldn't make UK politics up.

Au contraire, you could but it would be deemed to rediculous to be believable.