The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Funeral has already taken place.

Has it? What do you think will happen when an entity smaller than the EU goes to the US to discuss a free trade deal? I'd consider it TTIP squared in the favour of the US.

You say that but I keep stumbling across reports about deals to entice us back to the union so we must offer something, or us leaving is a biggie for them.

Difficult to know who to believe these days.

I keep stumbling across them, fortunately the EU is a democratic union where people are allowed to say what they want - in general the mood is buoyant. Not quite in line with what Theresa May is promising Britain.

[quote=tzijlstra;11678962 .

I keep stumbling across them, fortunately the EU is a democratic union where people are allowed to say what they want - in general the mood is buoyant. Not quite in line with what Theresa May is promising Britain.

I don't follow that I'm sorry, 'they are allowed to say what they want'

Are you suggesting they are apt to offering something they cannot deliver? :D

The only 'enticement' I've seen lately, is Macron and Merkel telling May that the EU door remains open until the UK walks through it. Which is awfully nice of them, considering the statutory bar (to staying in the EU) which Article 50 TFEU looks like on paper and by the opinion of most legal observers (-of repute): they're telegraphing to May (/the British electorate at large), that a way to make Article 50 go away will be found, should the UK so wish.

Politics at the highest level of government will trump clubhouse rules. When it comes to deadlines the only deadline that really matters are elections. When TM called for a GE she essentially manufactured a 5 year deadline for Brexit.

Therese May can't even get to a deal with a party that traditionally votes the same way as the Tories... how is she supposed to be getting a strong and stable deal with the EU? The mind boggles...

I don't follow that I'm sorry, 'they are allowed to say what they want'

Are you suggesting they are apt to offering something they cannot deliver? :D

I'm saying some folks in the EU will say one thing, others will say another, the general consensus in the EU is one of 'get on with leaving already' which leads to some happy faces. There are now more happy faces than immediately after the referendum, so the atmosphere can be declared buoyant :)

Politics at the highest level of government will trump clubhouse rules. When it comes to deadlines the only deadline that really matters are elections. When TM called for a GE she essentially manufactured a 5 year deadline for Brexit.

You're going to be in for a shock in less than 2 years then:hihi:

Why would that someone be asked, then, as it would be the Haven's Parliament that decided tax policy?

That directly contradicts your post here which says:

So it's good that the people who vote do the deciding

You're the one who introduced people voting about it, I was just pointing out that, even if given a vote on the issue, it's by no means certain that the people of a tax haven would chose to stop being one.

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 19:58 ----------

Funeral has already taken place.

Trump ditched TTIP, and the TPP too, because the US would be better off doing deals with individual countries - their relative greater size would put them in a stronger negotiating position. It's also worth bearing in mind that the UK government were happy to sign the TTIP as it was - it was other EU countries that disagreed with it. Add a post brexit UK desperate for trade deals and we'll be getting a far worse US trade deal than TTIP would have been.

It will be the EU that decide what the deadline is for Brexit.

As it stands it will be the end of March 2019. That can be extended but only if all 27 remaining members agree to it.

What many Brexiteers fail to understand is that the EU has the strongest hand and that we will only receive what they are prepared to give, we are in no position to demand anything.

Hopefully pragmatism will be employed and a reasonable compromise will be reached.

In order to achieve that however it will be necessary for our representatives to curtail their natural tendency to act like arrogant morons when in the company of Johnny Foreigner.

Therese May can't even get to a deal with a party that traditionally votes the same way as the Tories... how is she supposed to be getting a strong and stable deal with the EU? The mind boggles...

Yep it does, for a change I can't wait for Monday to come, I've heard they're adding canned laughter and running it in the comedy channel.

I'm saying some folks in the EU will say one thing, others will say another, the general consensus in the EU is one of 'get on with leaving already' which leads to some happy faces. There are now more happy faces than immediately after the referendum, so the atmosphere can be declared buoyant :)

Ok, gotcha now. We've been a royal pain haven't we. I get why people don't like us which is a shame, coz take away the stuffed shirts that almost run this country and we are really quite nice, amiable even.