The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Because what they've voted for is going to make what they were protesting about worse/longer lasting/harder to solve.

I know what you're saying and I concur but if it's part or wholly the reason why then the outcome and long term effects are immaterial, they pushed back against something they blamed for the problems they were/are facing. Ok they still have problems maybe worse now but they've forced the issue and created problems for everyone.

I know what you're saying and I concur but if it's part or wholly the reason why then the outcome and long term effects are immaterial, they pushed back against something they blamed for the problems they were/are facing. Ok they still have problems maybe worse now but they've forced the issue and created problems for everyone.

I'm not sure those who used the brexit vote as an opportunity to protest against austerity do blame the EU for the problems they are facing. The results in the recent election seem to support that viewpoint.

As I'm 70 and voted remain in an attempt to ensure the future prospects of my grandchildren I resent your blatant ageism! :mad:
There was no ageism meant in my earlier post, to which you replied: just dispassionate and objective observance of voting trends, as politicians will be observing them, drawing conclusions and tuning their discourse and policies.

For now, Leaver or Remainer, older generations are still 'sheltered' by the Tory majority in the HoC. In view of the past GE voting profiles and trends, that won't last, is all I'm saying.

Your past vote will not make a blind bit of difference, when a next/later government seeking to ingratiate itself with a younger voting demographic starts to target wealth/inheritance/healthy pensions/old-age nice-to-haves benefits <etc.>

Your mileage may vary of course, but everyone is getting a share of the Brexs**t sandwich: Leaver, Remainer, old, young, British, immigrant, resident, expaatriate...and some will be served more than others. It's inevitable.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 15:10 ----------

<...> If what you say is correct and the vote was viewed as an offer to protest then why not!
Because the net result is less to go around in the short to medium term at least, inevitably (all sides agree on that one), i.e. those who voted 'leave' out of protest at not getting enough, will be getting still less.

You can either see that outcome as biting irony, or despair at its effect on social justice and mobility, or cynically say that it serves them right. I don't hide that I have been, and continue to go, through all 3 sentiments, depending on the day and the news.

There was no ageism meant in my earlier post, to which you replied: just dispassionate and objective observance of voting trends, as politicians will be observing them, drawing conclusions and tuning their discourse and policies.

For now, Leaver or Remainer, older generations are still 'sheltered' by the Tory majority in the HoC. In view of the past GE voting profiles and trends, that won't last, is all I'm saying.

Your past vote will not make a blind bit of difference, when a next/later government seeking to ingratiate itself with a younger voting demographic starts to target wealth/inheritance/healthy pensions/old-age nice-to-haves benefits <etc.>

Your mileage may vary of course, but everyone is getting a share of the Brexs**t sandwich: Leaver, Remainer, old, young, British, immigrant, resident, expaatriate...and some will be served more than others. It's inevitable.

Because the net result is less to go around in the short to medium term at least, inevitably (all sides agree on that one), i.e. those who voted 'leave' out of protest at not getting enough, will be getting still less.

You can either see that outcome as biting irony, or despair at its effect on social justice and mobility, or cynically say that it serves them right. I don't hide that I have been, and continue to go, through all 3 sentiments, depending on the day and the news.

What can I say?

Perhaps an apology is needed (not from me silly :hihi:) from a government and an opposition (leave remain) for driving around the facts and parking at confusing bullet points for you gotta say they really didn't supply any useful information.

I didn't think that any ageism was meant, my response was meant to be humorous, but obviously failed.

I'm fully aware that my past vote won't make " a blind bit of difference ", how could it?

The only good thing to come out of this debacle is that the younger generation are starting to take a great deal more interest in politics.

Many of them didn't bother to vote because they thought it was a foregone conclusion. The polls said it was and the bookies said it was, so why bother.

The voting system in this country is undemocratic and unfit for purpose, it discourages people from taking an active interest.

Unfortunately, too many didn't work out that a referendum is different and your vote actually counts.

Hold another referendum and I'm certain the outcome would be different.

That isn't going to happen and it begs the question, why?

The referendum was supposed to be only advisory, but somehow instantly became tablets of stone from Mount Sinai, why?

It was a complex question and most voters didn't really have the information to arrive at an informed decision.

That's what we pay MP's for, so why didn't they use their judgement in the best interests of the country and vote to remain, whilst taking the public dissatisfaction into consideration and promising to take action to alter EU practice?

Of course in a volatile situation like this the wealthy make out like bandits and increase their billions substantially, so maybe it suited those with influence in government circles and to hell with the rest of us.

I didn't think that any ageism was meant, my response was meant to be humorous, but obviously failed.

I'm fully aware that my past vote won't make " a blind bit of difference ", how could it?

The only good thing to come out of this debacle is that the younger generation are starting to take a great deal more interest in politics.

Many of them didn't bother to vote because they thought it was a foregone conclusion. The polls said it was and the bookies said it was, so why bother.

The voting system in this country is undemocratic and unfit for purpose, it discourages people from taking an active interest.

Unfortunately, too many didn't work out that a referendum is different and your vote actually counts.

Hold another referendum and I'm certain the outcome would be different.

That isn't going to happen and it begs the question, why?

The referendum was supposed to be only advisory, but somehow instantly became tablets of stone from Mount Sinai, why?

It was a complex question and most voters didn't really have the information to arrive at an informed decision.

That's what we pay MP's for, so why didn't they use their judgement in the best interests of the country and vote to remain, whilst taking the public dissatisfaction into consideration and promising to take action to alter EU practice?

Of course in a volatile situation like this the wealthy make out like bandits and increase their billions substantially, so maybe it suited those with influence in government circles and to hell with the rest of us.

Voters didn't know the difference between yes and no?

Explain the complexity.

Because David Cameron promised: if they had gone back on that promise, it would have proven beyond question that politicians are not to be trusted...

I reckon we should have a referendum about whether or not we should have a referendum.

That way no one can complain...

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 18:52 ----------

Because David Cameron promised: if they had gone back on that promise, it would have proven beyond question that politicians are not to be trusted...

But my parents voted to join and now their wishes are being ignored - so the lying started a long time ago.

I reckon we should have a referendum about whether or not we should have a referendum.

That way no one can complain...

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 18:52 ----------

But my parents voted to join and now their wishes are being ignored - so the lying started a long time ago.

Once bitten............

http://www.vernoncoleman.com/howthebritishmedia.htm

Why do people keep repeating this or that they voted to leave in '75?

Either way, none one person did any such thing.

The referendum in 1975 was an in/out. We were already members. There, never, ever, ever, ever was a referendum about joining.