Buchanan drive voted most anti social in country

Your reply to me was only to demand an apology. I'm also not trying to help anyone - I don't even know what this would entail.

My reply included doing what you claimed I don't do. Justifying my opinion.

Are you going to apologise for the ad hominem attack? Or did you 'contribute' to this thread just to try (and fail) to score points?

How does being 'disadvantaged' mean you have to be anti-social vandals/thugs?

IT doesn't. Which is the point I was making.

Meanwhile Ableton and co have rather proved my point that attitudes to the disadvantaged are unpleasant and vitriolic.

Kids that are likely to get into bother are not going to be of an age to want to play in adventure playgrounds though are they?

No, but the good work happens before then. As this is a bit of a hobby horse of mine, I'll go into a bit of detail (hope I don't bore you :)).

Burngreave, as I'm sure you know, is a classic step-migration inner city borough, i.e. lots of new arrivals to Sheffield / the UK start here and move out as they get more settled and affluent. The Irish did it, then African-Caribbean people did it, then the Somalis were the new arrivals, then Poles for a bit, now the Roma are the new people. What's the first thing kids look for when they move somewhere new? Other kids to play with. Pitsmoor Adventure Playground is brilliant because it's staffed and they help all the kids to get along, which they really do (it's not some kind of liberal, multicultural fantasy).

Take the Roma kids for example. When they first arrived in Burngreave and started coming to the playground, they had little or no English, didn't know how to share or take turns, were sometimes really pushy with the other kids and were generally non-rule bound. The staff worked really hard to help them understand how it goes: share, take turns, no swearing, no fighting, kids under 6 not allowed on their own, kids over 14 not allowed, etc. etc. They now get all that, their behaviour has radically changed, they help look after the place and to tidy up before and after opening time and so on.

Because the staff are brilliant and engage kids from very young to 14 and build a relationship with them along the way and provide good role models, those kids grow up much better behaved than they likely otherwise would. They play a big role in diverting kids away from more undesirable ways of life, including gangs which have become much less of a problem in the area.

It is a hugely important asset for the area and why people were so up in arms when the council wanted to close it. We are lucky in that Burngreave is actually a very mixed area and we have enough people with the professional skills to run it, employ the staff, do the accounts and write successful funding bids, including some people with a background in play work. Does Parson Cross have enough people who are able to take on something of that sort in their spare time? I don't know - maybe not. But every deprived area should have something as great as Pitsmoor Adventure Playground.

No, but the good work happens before then. As this is a bit of a hobby horse of mine, I'll go into a bit of detail (hope I don't bore you :)).

Burngreave, as I'm sure you know, is a classic step-migration inner city borough, i.e. lots of new arrivals to Sheffield / the UK start here and move out as they get more settled and affluent. The Irish did it, then African-Caribbean people did it, then the Somalis were the new arrivals, then Poles for a bit, now the Roma are the new people. What's the first thing kids look for when they move somewhere new? Other kids to play with. Pitsmoor Adventure Playground is brilliant because it's staffed and they help all the kids to get along, which they really do (it's not some kind of liberal, multicultural fantasy).

Take the Roma kids for example. When they first arrived in Burngreave and started coming to the playground, they had little or no English, didn't know how to share or take turns, were sometimes really pushy with the other kids and were generally non-rule bound. The staff worked really hard to help them understand how it goes: share, take turns, no swearing, no fighting, kids under 6 not allowed on their own, kids over 14 not allowed, etc. etc. They now get all that, their behaviour has radically changed, they help look after the place and to tidy up before and after opening time and so on.

Because the staff are brilliant and engage kids from very young to 14 and build a relationship with them along the way and provide good role models, those kids grow up much better behaved than they likely otherwise would. They play a big role in diverting kids away from more undesirable ways of life, including gangs which have become much less of a problem in the area.

It is a hugely important asset for the area and why people were so up in arms when the council wanted to close it. We are lucky in that Burngreave is actually a very mixed area and we have enough people with the professional skills to run it, employ the staff, do the accounts and write successful funding bids, including some people with a background in play work. Does Parson Cross have enough people who are able to take on something of that sort in their spare time? I don't know - maybe not. But every deprived area should have something as great as Pitsmoor Adventure Playground.

good post bob..one person springs to mind. Brendan ingle.

Guest makapaka

Cool. I've never advocated closing down playgrounds- my point was more on existing bad behaviour but hope you keep up the good work.

---------- Post added 03-04-2017 at 23:01 ----------

My reply included doing what you claimed I don't do. Justifying my opinion.

Are you going to apologise for the ad hominem attack? Or did you 'contribute' to this thread just to try (and fail) to score points?

As I said before - have a day off.

Good post Bob. That was what I trying to get across about giving kids a good start. We can't expect to give young children nothing and them bam at 14 they are model citizens.

It is a long process and I don't think thats what many people want, many they want a quick solution to anti-social behaviour.