Buchanan drive voted most anti social in country

It might have been free to the children, but their parents were paying for it through using the WMC.

---------- Post added 31-03-2017 at 17:46 ----------

Why are the powers that be not providing things for the kids to do?

Maybe organise trips to the seaside, why don't the council organise free trips to Alton Towers?

Bored people = anti social behaviour

Why should the council provide leisure activities for children. They're the council, not parents.

---------- Post added 31-03-2017 at 17:48 ----------

Try behavioural epigenetics (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_epigenetics)

This avoids the need to invoke eugenics, but some research suggests that attempting to change behaviour requires efforts over more than one generation. As you say, difficult.

Epigenetics is a fascinating field, but the behaviour of children is still nurture driven, not epigenetically driven. Some of their physical characteristics and limitations will be EG driven.

---------- Post added 31-03-2017 at 17:48 ----------

There's actually a lot of studies supporting genetic impact on behaviour over upbringing.

I don't know if they're right or wrong but certain studies believe that's the case.

For example?

---------- Post added 31-03-2017 at 17:51 ----------

Why don't all the people on this thread go and have a really honest conversation with their parents about stuff they got up to when they were kids. Sure, they might have been perfect little angels, but somehow I doubt it. My dad has been a fairly upstanding member of the community for my whole life. Hardly drinks, really active, does lots of charity work, helped out at the local rugby club, sat on the PTA, never had anything to do with the police in a negative way, perfect gent. Yet when he was teenager he shot air rifles at trains from a bridge on the outskirts of his village. All this rubbish about how this latest generation is terrible and the end of civilised society is just hyperbole from people who seem to have forgotten just how awful kids were in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

I once stole a chocolate bar. I got marched back in to take it back and apologise.

I also climbed on a bus shelter roof and sat there for a while...

And a policeman once told me off for whistling.

I'm pretty sure most of my friends were similar. We didn't vandalise things, or smash windows, we didn't damage other peoples property, fight or smoke. I suppose we did drink a little from about 16, once we could manage to get served.

Epigenetics is a fascinating field, but the behaviour of children is still nurture driven, not epigenetically driven. Some of their physical characteristics and limitations will be EG

And the ability of parents to nurture their children is driven by..? EG changes in preceding generations (caused by stress, poor diet, poor nurture for e.g.) that are associated with behavioural problems may take several more generations to fade, however good the nurture.

No because that is in no way an extension of the same logic, it's a total distortion.

You are free to visit any park in Sheffield at any time you wish.

You are free to visit most any park in the country should you want to.

That is in no way similar to sending some tearaway on a jolly to Alton Towers as a reward for being a little toad, thats utterly stupid.

There is a massive imbalance in park provision in Sheffield. The two best-resourced parks are both in the south west. Endcliffe and Millhouses parks have had very substantial investment and have loads of varied play equipment and features, despite them being in areas where parents have the most resources to travel to parks and countryside. Compare that with Longley Park, Hillsborough Park, Firth Park and anywhere else in the north of Sheffield. For an adult and two kids to travel by bus from Parson Cross and back is going to cost in the region of £5.40 - just to go to the park! If you're on a low income that's not a trivial amount of money.

SCC should have invested more in play opportunities in the less affluent parts of Sheffield, but I often feel that our voices don't get heard as well as those of the people from certain postcodes.

And the ability of parents to nurture their children is driven by..? EG changes in preceding generations (caused by stress, poor diet, poor nurture for e.g.) that are associated with behavioural problems may take several more generations to fade, however good the nurture.

Claiming genetics as the reason for poor parenting and poor behaviour in children is a cop out IMO.

You may find that a lot of hard work by interested residents goes into improving facilities in local parks.

It isn't limited to the more affluent areas.

What are you saying, that the residents of Dore and Millhouses paid for and maintain the water play area in Millhouses park? What level of investment are we talking about here?

Guest makapaka
And you opinion is based on what?

Cyclone is allowed to make any statement they wish without question.

Any other poster has to provide a full thesis in support of their argument or cyclone "wins".

Stick with the programme.

What are you saying, that the residents of Dore and Millhouses paid for and maintain the water play area in Millhouses park? What level of investment are we talking about here?

No. I am not.

There are sources of funding that are available to anyone that is prepared to do the work in order to access it.

Take Charnock Recreation Ground as a good example.

http://friendsofcharnockrec.co.uk/

Cyclone is allowed to make any statement they wish without question.

Any other poster has to provide a full thesis in support of their argument or cyclone "wins".

Stick with the programme.

Yes, sorry, I had forgotten :hihi: