Blowing your own trumpet .

As I read these threads along with other social media ones I often come across folk who tell all and sundry just how good they them selves are .

You know how it goes ,my house has got ten rooms or my car cost £££££££ , or I worked hard at school and ended up with a top job, or my kids are so perfect that all others pale into insignificance when compared .

You get em at every bar in every pub,= the latest holiday in Acapulco or the skiing season in the Alps followed by the plans to send little Oscar or Amelia to private school and so on .

When I was a kid in the forty's and fifty's we never heard discussions like this and any one who boasted how much better than us they were soon got brought down a peg or two .

So is blowing your own trumpet a modern thing or has it always been the norm.???

In my workplace those higher up the command chain (though not exclusively) are people that are obsessed with their own privileged status in the pecking order. It also happens to be the case that if these people went on strike for higher wages, very few people would notice they weren't at work.

It's probably always been the norm - generally I ignore them, as I don't want to give them attention which would feed their egos. However, if they brag to rub other people's nose in it then I'd have no qualms in biting back.

I don't think it's anything new. Maybe some people do it to compensate for something else they lack in life. Or maybe they can't think of anything else to talk about. I myself, wouldn't let it bother me, as I'm too busy getting on with my own life.:)

Bringing someone down a peg or two is almost as bad as someone blowing their own trumpet.

I find bragging very distasteful, but I also find people who'd openly belittle someone for their success bad as well.

I hate the general thought that everyone needs to dwell on the bottom and no-one should strive for anything better.

Bringing someone down a peg or two is almost as bad as someone blowing their own trumpet.

I find bragging very distasteful, but I also find people who'd openly belittle someone for their success bad as well.

I hate the general thought that everyone needs to dwell on the bottom and no-one should strive for anything better.

Good way to put it:D