Blowing your own trumpet .

That's a statistical fact. I can see why you might dislike it though if you voted to leave.

---------- Post added 01-04-2017 at 23:28 ----------

And I guess that interactions were limited mostly to people in similar social strata, class, income, etc, as each other.

I interact with a much broader range of people on this forum than I do in real life. My IRL friends are almost exclusively educated to the same level as myself, have similar backgrounds, in the same socio-economic grouping, etc...

I think someone already said that it's a fine line between bragging and being proud. If we have a thread about cars, and people on that thread talk about what car they have, it's not bragging if you happen to have an expensive car. If you constantly bring it up in unrelated threads, then I'd see it as bragging.

Might dislike what exactly ....... snobbery perhaps ?

Some deluded belief that an opinion is somehow more valid because of a person's education, that would only be a statistical fact if the opinion was about a specific subject.

Statistical fact's would probably say people today are better educated generally than people of my generation, as for experience and knowledge of life in general that means diddly squat !

I don't know how much you really know about America, but in my long time here I have not found any more bragging than you would in any Sheffield pub. Certainly sports fans brag about their team's success, or bemoan their failure, but no worse than Wednesday or United. We don't have to brag about our achievements. They speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, like Britain, all your achievements are in the past.

Both countries now have leaders hell bent on their destruction.

A sad, whimpering end to two great nations.

Unfortunately, like Britain, all your achievements are in the past.

Both countries now have leaders hell bent on their destruction.

A sad, whimpering end to two great nations.

Empires rise, empires fall. It's the turn of other nations now.

Empires rise, empires fall. It's the turn of other nations now.

Indeed, but the fools cant see that.

They think having a navy blue passport will have other nations grovelling at their feet.

Never in my life have I felt ashamed of being British, but now we are the fools of the world.

This government is like a Keystone Kops movie.

I think someone already said that it's a fine line between bragging and being proud. If we have a thread about cars, and people on that thread talk about what car they have, it's not bragging if you happen to have an expensive car. If you constantly bring it up in unrelated threads, then I'd see it as bragging.
Just reminded me of a famous say, "it's not bragging if you can back it up", which a very good friend of mine once gifted me in a frame.

That frame sits proud in my work office ;)

Just reminded me of a famous say, "it's not bragging if you can back it up", which a very good friend of mine once gifted me in a frame.

That frame sits proud in my work office ;)

Really, only inadequates need to brag.

Your very style and demeanour should be enough.

A real gentleman does not need to show off.

Really, only inadequates need to brag.
You might want to check who that quote comes from ;)

For the rest of it, in my line of work, getting lucrative and interesting work is all about bragging rights I'm afraid: what you managed to protect, which infringer you smited, how much you won the client, how little it cost them <...>

Otherwise you're never any better than your last job, and merely a commodity competing with the others to the bottom price for doing the mundane work.

Some will see undoubtedly it as bragging (or arrogance, same-o to a large extent). In a professional context, it's closer to self-confidence and, in a commercial service context, it's also called reputation....deserved, when you can back it up ;)

You might want to check who that quote comes from ;)

For the rest of it, in my line of work, getting lucrative and interesting work is all about bragging rights I'm afraid: what you managed to protect, which infringer you smited, how much you won the client, how little it cost them <...>

Otherwise you're never any better than your last job, and merely a commodity competing with the others to the bottom price for doing the mundane work.

Some will see undoubtedly it as bragging (or arrogance, same-o to a large extent). In a professional context, it's closer to self-confidence and, in a commercial service context, it's also called reputation....deserved, when you can back it up ;)

I accept that.

My son is in the type of work.

Dog eat dog unfortunately, no matter who decent deep down you are.

Just checked, it is from The Greatest. ;)

Edited by Jacktari
addition