Snuff (the stuff you put up your nose)

I saw a shop selling snuff last night and will confess to being a little curious...what do you actually DO with it? Where does it go when you've sniffed it? I need more info - I hate my hayfever... does it clear out the old nasal passages?

PeterW - what are the health implication of using snuff?

Obviously for normal fags lung, mouth and whatever else cancer. Is it the same for snuff?

Supposed to be bad for general health as are cigs and cigars, but I lived there for a long time, walked through the place on a daily basis, inhaled lots of snuff, never had a cold, never had the flu, and I’m still here, aged 77.

Snuff used to be used by miners, as they were unable to spark up when working ‘darn pit’ Go into any working men’s club and you’re bound to see and old chap with some snuff.

You can get it from tobacconists and from behind the bar in old school pubs and WMC’s. It’s about 80p for a tin, which lasts me bout a month!

I used to do it quite a lot but started to get really horrible brown bogies!

Just take a pinch of snuff between your thumb and index finger and inhale through the nose, don’t make the mistake of sniffing up too much otherwise it will end up in the back of your mouth which isn’t a nice sensation. Just a little sniff will do. To me it’s like Vics vapour rub that you used to have on your chest as a child. You get a nice fresh smell and it does seem to stop me snuffling. There’s a mill that have been producing snuff for hundreds of years at Sharrow.

When I was in Australia I searched high and low for a tin of snuff. Needless to say nobody had ever heard and thought it was a cat a drug!

“You fill up my senses like a gallon of magnet, like a packet of woodbines, like a good pinch of snuff, like a night out in Sheffield, like a greasy chip butty, like Sheffield Utd, come fill me again”

Archived