Snuff (the stuff you put up your nose)

some dutch guy in spain gave me something called snuzz or something which i put under my gums. It tasted bad and made me spit alot. Made me a bit dizzy, anyone heard of this or was i just putting dog**** in my mouth?

It's snus - banned throughout the EU except in Scandinavia. It's loose shredded tobacco with flavourings and aromatics added, pressed into a wad, inserted and held between the gum and the lip.

Nowadays it's mostly sold as 'portion-snus' where the tobacco is bagged in mini-teabags - which makes the whole process a lot less messy, although each portion is perhaps a third of the size of a tradition 'wad'.

Nicotine is rapidly absorbed through the mucuous membranes in your lips and gums, which results in the headrush you experienced.

It's a highly perishable product and needs to be kept in the fridge if its to be stored for any length of time. Also, you don't want to be drinking beer at the same time.

Unlike chewing tobacco, snus doesn't require establishments to provide plentiful spitoons, as the initial overproduction of saliva soon stops as you become accustomed to it.

• 4 years later...

What a cool old post,I'm only 27 but I remember when I was a kid my mates grandad used to let us have a pinch wow they knocked my duck off, then when i was a student one of the lads that used to come always had a tin and just casually passed it round brings back some memorys half tempted to go find a tin now....

Archived