When would I pay the 40% tax rate?

Hi

I know HMRC says £43,000 of taxable income, but does that include the personal allowance?

An old relative that worked in the wage department seems to be saying that a personal allowance of £11,000, then £43,000 - so that would mean the tax rate of 40% would start at £54,000?

Hi

I know HMRC says £43,000 of taxable income, but does that include the personal allowance?

An old relative that worked in the wage department seems to be saying that a personal allowance of £11,000, then £43,000 - so that would mean the tax rate of 40% would start at £54,000?

The amount of earnings over £43,000 but below £150,000 is taxed at 40%. I thought the personal allowance was part of that, but if it stipulates taxable income maybe not..

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/about.php

"Any taxable income (i.e. that income above the personal allowance) up to £33,500 is taxed at 20%, from £33,501 to £150,000 is taxed at 40% and taxable income over £150,000 is taxed at the rate of 45%. The 10% "Starting Rate" of income tax was removed in the April 2008 budget."

Edited by Robin-H

I think that it's gone up from £43,000 to £45,000 today. The personal allowance has also gone up to £11,500.

Thanks all, The Government web site still shows £43k, it could change on the 5th/6th April