Political Correctness Gone Mad!!

There are examples of 'political correctness gone mad' - but it is interesting how those who say it only do so when someone is being sexist, racist or homophobic.

There are plenty of examples of political correctness, where those who complain about it never seem to pick up on. Like for example when politicians describe the need to 'modernise' a service, that's usually a PC term for cuts.

For example Ministers were at it yesterday, talking about the need to 'modernise' bereavement benefits 'to help people readjust to single-parent life' -

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/03/bereavement-benefits-cut-to-help-people-readjust-to-life-as-single-parents

Which basically is a PC way of saying 'we want to cut benefits to people at their most vulnerable time'.

The problem with making these small incidents into major things, is that it tends to obscure the very real violent culture that many women (and men) have to live within. We really should be more thorough in rooting out serious stuff and spend less time on stuff like a poorly judged, but essentailly harmless off the cuff remark.

Quite agree.

There are examples of 'political correctness gone mad' - but it is interesting how those who say it only do so when someone is being sexist, racist or homophobic.

There are plenty of examples of political correctness, where those who complain about it never seem to pick up on. Like for example when politicians describe the need to 'modernise' a service, that's usually a PC term for cuts.

For example Ministers were at it yesterday, talking about the need to 'modernise' bereavement benefits 'to help people readjust to single-parent life' -

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/03/bereavement-benefits-cut-to-help-people-readjust-to-life-as-single-parents

Which basically is a PC way of saying 'we want to cut benefits to people at their most vulnerable time'.

You'll not get much support on the forum as there seem to be too many who have bought into the narrative that it's the poor and disabled victims who are to blame for the ills of this country.

This government gets lower and more vile hourly.

Just when you think they have reached rock bottom, they manage to plumb new depths of vileness.

You'll not get much support on the forum as there seem to be too many who have bought into the narrative that it's the poor and disabled victims who are to blame for the ills of this country.

And often it's those just above the poverty line who rail against those worse off than themselves, and balme them for the country's problems :loopy:

---------- Post added 04-04-2017 at 22:37 ----------

This government gets lower and more vile hourly.

Just when you think they have reached rock bottom, they manage to plumb new depths of vileness.

I agree. The ex Chancellor, George Osborne, is doing very nicely. The recently bereaved with young children, many of whom depend on benefits at their most vulnerable time, will see these benefits cut. All in the name of 'modernisation'.

In this context, 'modernisation' is going back to the 19th Century :(

Edited by Mister M

The incident didn't take place on TV as such. It happened after a press conference had been closed and was filmed by someone on a mobile phone. It is clear from the footage and the context that it was humorous to both parties.

I was once slapped on the backside by a female work colleague. It was meant in a joking manner and I did not feel humiliated, offended or sexually violated. Nor did it damage my self-esteem or cause me to have nightmares. As there was no-one there to film this incident it has never become public knowledge until now, so if anyone feels that they have the divine right to be offended on my behalf and report to the authorities please let me know in advance. I will then happily tell you to s*d off and mind your own business.

Quite - a bunch of snowflakes pretending to be offended, or realising they may be able to destroy someone better and more successful than themselves.

The incident didn't take place on TV as such. It happened after a press conference had been closed and was filmed by someone on a mobile phone. It is clear from the footage and the context that it was humorous to both parties.

I was once slapped on the backside by a female work colleague. It was meant in a joking manner and I did not feel humiliated, offended or sexually violated. Nor did it damage my self-esteem or cause me to have nightmares. As there was no-one there to film this incident it has never become public knowledge until now, so if anyone feels that they have the divine right to be offended on my behalf and report to the authorities please let me know in advance. I will then happily tell you to s*d off and mind your own business.

If you weren't offended by it then there isn't a problem. But not everyone has the same experiences as you. For example, some may have been sexually assaulted in the past. Given that experience, having their 'backside slapped', could be traumatising.

Also worth bearing in mind that if you don't want someone to be offended on your behalf, well okay. By the same token, someone else might not want you to be dismissive of them if they are offended by another's behaviour.

---------- Post added 04-04-2017 at 23:20 ----------

Quite - a bunch of snowflakes pretending to be offended, or realising they may be able to destroy someone better and more successful than themselves.

Not at all. I think one of the benefits of 'political correctness' is that it has elevated public discourse away from the nastiness of ad hominem attacks based on things like racism & homophobia, to something resembling civility. Nothing wrong with that, surely?

Edited by Mister M

Guest makapaka

Crikey - a football manager makes a bad joke to someone who seemingly takes no offence and now it's led to discussions about sexual assault, the bereaved and poverty.

And people wonder why their arguments aren't taken seriously sometimes.

Maybe focus on the bigger issue yeah?