Political Correctness Gone Mad!!

The problem with making these small incidents into major things, is that it tends to obscure the very real violent culture that many women (and men) have to live within. We really should be more thorough in rooting out serious stuff and spend less time on stuff like a poorly judged, but essentailly harmless off the cuff remark.

I disagree. The 'small stuff' like this is an intrinsic part of that culture of violence - and sexual violence - that you refer to.

Crap like this needs tackling at all levels, all the time.

I disagree. The 'small stuff' like this is an intrinsic part of that culture of violence - and sexual violence - that you refer to.

Whilst agreeing with you on this issue, I am concerned that it can be a double edged sword.

Curbs on speech can affect us in more ways than one.

We already have censorship, they could extend this to not being allowed to criticise and comment on various things they consider undesirable.

With a government such as the one we have, we have to watch their every move.

Whilst agreeing with you on this issue, I am concerned that it can be a double edged sword.

Curbs on speech can affect us in more ways than one.

We already have censorship, they could extend this to not being allowed to criticise and comment on various things they consider undesirable.

With a government such as the one we have, we have to watch their every move.

I'm not suggesting curbs on speech - just that when people say stupid stuff they should expect to be challenged over it. I agree about the government.

Guest makapaka

Have you watched the clip?

Crikey - a football manager makes a bad joke to someone who seemingly takes no offence and now it's led to discussions about sexual assault, the bereaved and poverty.

And people wonder why their arguments aren't taken seriously sometimes.

Maybe focus on the bigger issue yeah?

The bigger issue is public discourse.

In terms of the benefit cuts to widowers, I was making the point that Ministers and some newspapers who lambast 'political correctness' when applied to sexism, are guilty of political correctness when they mendaciously call cuts to benefits 'modernising'.

If the woman to whom Moyes made his comments is not offended, well okay. But that can impact on the wider culture, in which many women are killed due to domestic violence. I'm sure Moyes wouldn't want to be part of that culture which legitimises that behaviour.

What....slap her?.

No. Threaten to. As you said. The thing is that although a lot of women are football supporters, like it or not, they are not took seriously when it comes to football and it should have been a man doing the interview.

The incident didn't take place on TV as such. It happened after a press conference had been closed and was filmed by someone on a mobile phone. It is clear from the footage and the context that it was humorous to both parties.

I was once slapped on the backside by a female work colleague. It was meant in a joking manner and I did not feel humiliated, offended or sexually violated. Nor did it damage my self-esteem or cause me to have nightmares. As there was no-one there to film this incident it has never become public knowledge until now, so if anyone feels that they have the divine right to be offended on my behalf and report to the authorities please let me know in advance. I will then happily tell you to s*d off and mind your own business.

I completely agree with you, but as he's in a position of responsibility and a public figure (kinda wish celebrities weren't but there you go) he just needs to be more careful. I wonder why the video came out at all and at bit saddened in a way that the reporter involved hasn't said something to support him unless she was actually upset by what was said? Either way, I agree with the less frothy mouthed people on here that it was a daft thing to say but appears to have meant and taken in absolute jest by all directly affected by it and therefore it should end there. If we end up living in a world where we cannot have people who know each other making jokes at each other expense that both parties are happy with and don't feel bullied or attacked then that doesn't sound like a very nice world to me.

Just to pick up on the backside slapping, if someone I knew and was at least more than acquaintances did that to me then I'd of course be fine with it as they know me, I know them so we have a mutual understanding. If a stranger or a hardly known work colleague did then it would be sexual harassment. This is why context is hugely important. Threatening to slap someone could be:

- an absolute joke taken as one by all concerned parties, no one was upset or offended and nothing more came of it

- a genuine threat masked as a joke to make it seem more palatable

- a genuine threat made as one

all with the exact same words used. Therefore the only peoples opinion we should care about really are those directly involved. As the journalist has not made a statement that I'm aware of we can only judge the comment on the clip and on that she appears to be laughing along with him genuinely, they appear to have rapport even friendliness, therefore we should assume that it was an absolute joke meant to be made off camera in public. I didn't realise it was after the interview initially I must admit so he has every right to make jokes with his colleagues believing them to be off record or in private. However, like all of us freedom of speech does not give you freedom from criticism.

Edited by sgtkate

Guest makapaka
The bigger issue is public discourse.

In terms of the benefit cuts to widowers, I was making the point that Ministers and some newspapers who lambast 'political correctness' when applied to sexism, are guilty of political correctness when they mendaciously call cuts to benefits 'modernising'.

If the woman to whom Moyes made his comments is not offended, well okay. But that can impact on the wider culture, in which many women are killed due to domestic violence. I'm sure Moyes wouldn't want to be part of that culture which legitimises that behaviour.

Did you watch the clip? If you did and still believe it would have a cultural impact I think you are way-off.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 10:13 ----------

I completely agree with you, but as he's in a position of responsibility and a public figure (kinda wish celebrities weren't but there you go) he just needs to be more careful. I wonder why the video came out at all and at bit saddened in a way that the reporter involved hasn't said something to support him unless she was actually upset by what was said? Either way, I agree with the less frothy mouthed people on here that it was a daft thing to say but appears to have meant and taken in absolute jest by all directly affected by it and therefore it should end there. If we end up living in a world where we cannot have people who know each other making jokes at each other expense that both parties are happy with and don't feel bullied or attacked then that doesn't sound like a very nice world to me.

Just to pick up on the backside slapping, if someone I knew and was at least more than acquaintances did that to me then I'd of course be fine with it as they know me, I know them so we have a mutual understanding. If a stranger or a hardly known work colleague did then it would be sexual harassment. This is why context is hugely important. Threatening to slap someone could be:

- an absolute joke taken as one by all concerned parties, no one was upset or offended and nothing more came of it

- a genuine threat masked as a joke to make it seem more palatable

- a genuine threat made as one

all with the exact same words used. Therefore the only peoples opinion we should care about really are those directly involved. As the journalist has not made a statement that I'm aware of we can only judge the comment on the clip and on that she appears to be laughing along with him genuinely, they appear to have rapport even friendliness, therefore we should assume that it was an absolute joke meant to be made off camera in public. I didn't realise it was after the interview initially I must admit so he has every right to make jokes with his colleagues believing them to be off record or in private. However, like all of us freedom of speech does not give you freedom from criticism.

Totally agree.

So how does everyone view - " i'll give you something to cry over", "carry on and you'll get a good hiding" ?

Harmless and innocent - the recipient of the comment isn't making an issue about it.

Why is slapping anyone or the threat of doing so appropriate?

So how does everyone view - " i'll give you something to cry over", "carry on and you'll get a good hiding" ?

Harmless and innocent - the recipient of the comment isn't making an issue about it.

Why is slapping anyone or the threat of doing so appropriate?

I think you are missing the point made by other posters. It is all about context.

When my daughter makes a mess in the kitchen and I threaten to slap her legs what sanctions should I face? Anger-management therapy, a trip to a police cell on a charge of threatening behavior or be 'named and shamed' by a posse of publicity-seeking 'virtue signallers'?

If you need further CONTEXT before you decide, my daughter is a Police Officer in her mid-twenties.

I await your decision with interest.