Suspicious behaviour by GB energy

GB energy (now property of cooperative energy) just tried to increase our monthly payments by over 30%. The email didn't explain why.

So I queried through their website and they admit that our account is in credit, but they're now asking for just over 15% increase.

I've responded basically by asking them what on earth they're up to. An increase in payments is not appropriate for an account in credit. I begin suspect stealth interest-free borrowing by the company from their customers as they've got to be losing money on us given the ridiculously good rate we're on.

If you're with cooperative or gb energy, then perhaps you're experiencing something similar. If you're not, then keep an eye out as it may be coming. I would be interested to hear from anybody who's has similar communications with them.

I left them just before they got taken over, my leaving wasn't linked to the takeover I wasn't even aware of it. Since then things have been a nightmare but I actually think my new supplier are at fault. Long and short of it: gas meter reading that I supplied to both suppliers wasn't used, instead a seemingly random number generator was used...according to this new random number I now owe GB Energy nearly £1k. I don't, in fact if they'd used the correct number I'd be a few hundred in credit...I switched supplier in December and this is still not resolved. I still have the wrong gas meter reading on both accounts which means I can't submit new ones as they get rejected by their system as being impossible (as they are hundred of units lower than they think they should be)....ARGH!

As I say with these things. I would like to meet the government Minister, or whoever, when they come out with the glib comment. It's easy, just switch suppliers.

It is easy and I will switch suppliers, when our fixed-price contract expires in September. I don't want to end up lending them hundreds of pounds in the interim. Until September they must supply us at the agreed rate and their monthly payments must be appropriate to that rate.

theyre all at it, ripping off the poor to feed the fatcats, always has happened always will

Nobody is ripping anybody off. In the long term I shall end up paying the agreed amount. I just suspect that they're trying to advance themselves a small loan.

Nobody is ripping anybody off. In the long term I shall end up paying the agreed amount. I just suspect that they're trying to advance themselves a small loan.

It's a common scam by companies looking to be taken over, to increase the balance sheets and make them look more attractive.

Had the same from Npower - turned out to be a ploy to get us to switch to their low-cost, online account that is basically charging the same.

Or, as the cynic might say, a ploy to overcharge the elderly that are scared to do online things.

same difference, its still robbery, they are fiddling it to get more and using those that can barely afford it to do so

if we owed them money we'd be in court before the ink had dried, yet they can over charge and "borrow" our money to their hearts content