Suspicious behaviour by GB energy

Had a similar issue with Scottish power. I paid 900 £ extra, but they offered me money back or in credit, so

I took credit. Then I switched to monthly direct debit, rather then paying every 3 months

GB energy (now property of cooperative energy) just tried to increase our monthly payments by over 30%. The email didn't explain why.

So I queried through their website and they admit that our account is in credit, but they're now asking for just over 15% increase.

I've responded basically by asking them what on earth they're up to. An increase in payments is not appropriate for an account in credit. I begin suspect stealth interest-free borrowing by the company from their customers as they've got to be losing money on us given the ridiculously good rate we're on.

If you're with cooperative or gb energy, then perhaps you're experiencing something similar. If you're not, then keep an eye out as it may be coming. I would be interested to hear from anybody who's has similar communications with them.

I’m really confused with all this?

I’ve had a letter dated 24th March stating that our winter payment will be £186.20 & our summer payment will be £93.80.

I’ve had a letter dated 4th April stating that our winter payment will be £160.93 & our summer payment will be £81.07.

I’ve had an Email dated 4th April stating that we have received 2 bills totalling an energy usage of £593.79 & they’ve reviewed our direct debit & that our direct debit will remain at £121.00.

I can only assume that as £160.93 + £81.07 = £242.00, then the average is £121.00 so the latter is correct?

We are in credit by £89.81

I’m really confused with all this?

I’ve had a letter dated 24th March stating that our winter payment will be £186.20 & our summer payment will be £93.80.

I’ve had a letter dated 4th April stating that our winter payment will be £160.93 & our summer payment will be £81.07.

I’ve had an Email dated 4th April stating that we have received 2 bills totalling an energy usage of £593.79 & they’ve reviewed our direct debit & that our direct debit will remain at £121.00.

I can only assume that as £160.93 + £81.07 = £242.00, then the average is £121.00 so the latter is correct?

We are in credit by £89.81

That's a pretty big bill. Unless you live in a mansion or operate a glass-blowing business, get yourself onto uswitch.com

This is automatic unacceptable, why do they love to increasing all the time. While there is no increase on wages and salaries of the low level workers. British government should regularize energy tariff all over UK. Because customer seems to be the last resort of all misfortunes of giants companies in UK.

Well okay. But there has just been a substantial increase in the state mandated minimum wage for over 25's and there are plenty of alternative energy suppliers to choose from.

I understand that it doesn't always feel like that when you're at the sharp end. It would be really nice if the energy suppliers just changed a fair price in the first place without us having to shop around, and it would also be nice if it didn't feel like you were running to stand still so much of the time.

I've never had an issue switching...

It's just that I know people who have had problems with their old supplier when they have switched, even though it may be just hassling.

I know I have had problems where a direct debit carries on even though you are not with them any more.

It's just that I know people who have had problems with their old supplier when they have switched, even though it may be just hassling.

I know I have had problems where a direct debit carries on even though you are not with them any more.

Yes lots of companies make that "mistake". Energy or otherwise. You can cancel them yourself fairly trivially with the bank.

That's a pretty big bill. Unless you live in a mansion or operate a glass-blowing business, get yourself onto uswitch.com

Yes, thanks I will.

I've been reluctant to switch over anything after previously being conned & lied to by Utility Warehouse.

This has been an unfortunate experience where we were misled by Utility Warehouse into signing up with them only to discover we’d been had.

In brief:

Rep came to our house & told us

Our energy bills would be greatly reduced. Utilility Warehouse ensure we are on the cheapest tariff.

Untrue. They only compare the “Top 6” providers.

Worse was to come. After only a few months we accumulated arrears of £647.37 in addition to our monthly payments – a serious miscalculation on the part of the rep who estimated our bills based on previous usage.

I set up a repayment plan with UW for £108pm over 6 months.

A few days later the sum of £647.37 was taken from our account without our knowledge or consent.

He also said that if we signed up to the telephone package we wouldn’t get any more “cold calls”

Untrue. Or rather “true” but only if we took up the option of a monthly payment in addition to what we were paying which wasn’t disclosed at the time.

However I'll have a look at uswitch.com thanks.

I've just told GB energy that not only are they to keep our monthly payments as they were before, they are to refund our current excess credit of almost £200 and explain themselves.

They have now turned my query into a complaint within their system and passed it on to somebody else.