Where is the oldest graveyard in South Yorkshire?

Hi all,

just been reading about the old graveyard behind the dog track off penistone road and was wondering if anyone knew of any really old graveyards in our area.

I personally find them very interesting and would love to find a really old one, I think the oldest gravestone I have seen to date was around 1623 and that was in Castleton or Bakewell I'm not quite sure which.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

Taylor1

There is always the hill top chapel grave yard opposite the police station.

Then there is the old Attercliffe grave yard with some of the victims of the sheffield flood. opposite worsop road. it used to be behind the old church so if you just walk up along the up rihjt head stones you come to the old grave yard.

there is another old grave yard, have you tried the general cemetary yet, you will not be dissapointed.

Hi all,

just been reading about the old graveyard behind the dog track off penistone road and was wondering if anyone knew of any really old graveyards in our area.

I personally find them very interesting and would love to find a really old one, I think the oldest gravestone I have seen to date was around 1623 and that was in Castleton or Bakewell I'm not quite sure which.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

Taylor1

What about the city general on Cemetery Road?

You may have difficulty trying to date a graveyard from tombstones.

A lot of headstones were destroyed during the Civil War and more have been removed to make way for more burials. Look at Parish registers for the earliest dates of burials.

Thanks all, I will try some of those.... I'm not a weirdo or anything:loopy: I just find graveyards quite serene places to be and I can spend hours looking at the headstones. I have the weekend free so I may go for a drive around.

Thanks again

Thanks all, I will try some of those.... I'm not a weirdo or anything:loopy: I just find graveyards quite serene places to be and I can spend hours looking at the headstones. I have the weekend free so I may go for a drive around.

Thanks again

I used to do the same, it's very interesting.

If you make a note of names off gravestones and type them into the computer, sometimes it throws up some interesting facts about the person, like which war they served in etc.

At the rear of St Mary's at Ecclesfield, there is someone buried there off Nelsons flagship!.

Archived