Immigration, Are We Helping Or Hindering.

I think he makes a good point about the numbers of those in abject poverty. One of my concerns with his theory is similar to what Galbraith said about the modern conservative, who he said: "is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness".

That might doing the speaker in the video you linked to a disservice, I don't know.

I thought Hayek had solved that one, " Leave it to the market let the market decide" or Robert Nosick " taxation is robbery" or our own Maggie " there is no such thing as society just individuals and their families"

me and now, me and now, me and now

Vote Conservative

It`s interesting that the same people who complain about immigration, are those who moan most about foreign aid......

And I wonder if it's the same people who complain about foreign aid, and how 'charity should begin at home', are the ones who grumble the most about feckless British people 'scrounging of the state', or 'not pulling themselves up by the bootstraps'....

It`s interesting that the same people who complain about immigration, are those who moan most about foreign aid......

That's because many people are racist and both these things (attacking immigration and attacking foreign aid) is perceived to harm johnny foreigner.

Clearly Anna B is not criticizing foreign aid in principle but rather the corruption of foreign aid.

That's because many people are racist and both these things (attacking immigration and attacking foreign aid) is perceived to harm johnny foreigner.

Clearly Anna B is not criticizing foreign aid in principle but rather the corruption of foreign aid.

I honestly don`t think many people are that racist. I think, I know, a lot of people are mildly racist, but not enough for them to think like that. I just think, as Frankie Boyle "joked", the trouble with the English is loads of them have very strong opinions based on no (or very little) evidence whatsoever.

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 16:52 ----------

And I wonder if it's the same people who complain about foreign aid, and how 'charity should begin at home', are the ones who grumble the most about feckless British people 'scrounging of the state', or 'not pulling themselves up by the bootstraps'....

Very probably, particularly the older ones who grew up when jobs were probably a bit more plentiful but, more significantly, paid better.

An interesting video, which makes sense.

But he ends with 'Let's help them there (in their own country.) And therein lies the rub.

We don't 'help them there,' do we? We throw a bit of aid money (a very little bit) in their direction most of which is lost to corruption.

They are poor largely because rich western civilizations went in and raped their countries in days of Empire and took over their natural resources, and enslaved the people. These are countries awash with natural wealth. Who owns all the minerals and gold mines? Who owns all the diamond mines? The Oil. And just about every other major resource?

The people may no longer be slaves but unfortunately the natural resources/wealth stay largely in the hands of the Western Corporations and a few individuals.

When these are given back to them there might be some hope, but I can't see the Rothschilds and the Rockerfellas et al, with their $trillions of wealth doing that any time soon.

Instead we connive with corrupt dictators, give the people crumbs, then take it back as third world debt.

Nice.

Excellent post. Nail on head

I thought Hayek had solved that one, " Leave it to the market let the market decide" or Robert Nosick " taxation is robbery" or our own Maggie " there is no such thing as society just individuals and their families"

me and now, me and now, me and now

Vote Conservative

Neither Hayek nor Maggie favoured leaving everything to the market. Their theories were more nuanced than that. Hayek in particular was a very sophisticated thinker and one whose ideas bear further scrutiny.

Neither Hayek nor Maggie favoured leaving everything to the market. Their theories were more nuanced than that. Hayek in particular was a very sophisticated thinker and one whose ideas bear further scrutiny.

Trouble is too much thinking and not enough action. Have any of the above, or their ideas, actually achieved anything?

Trouble is too much thinking and not enough action. Have any of the above, or their ideas, actually achieved anything?

Actually Anna, yes, to a world-changing degree. Hayek was not only a strong advocate of free markets but also believed strongly in the link between democratic open societies and wealth creation. He wrote in his famous book The Road to Serfdom that neither fascism nor communism could produce anything other than tyranny and poverty. His ideas have underpinned the development of market economies around the world, thereby creating the biggest rise in global wealth and the largest fall in global poverty in world history.

Actually Anna, yes, to a world-changing degree. Hayek was not only a strong advocate of free markets but also believed strongly in the link between democratic open societies and wealth creation. He wrote in his famous book The Road to Serfdom that neither fascism nor communism could produce anything other than tyranny and poverty. His ideas have underpinned the development of market economies around the world, thereby creating the biggest rise in global wealth and the largest fall in global poverty in world history.

Tell me more about Hayek. I don't think I've heard of him.