Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

Dear South Yorkshire Police,

The amount of vehicles making illegal right turns onto Upper Hannover from Glossop Road has reached epidemic levels.

The 'ahead only' message is reinforced 3 times (traffic light, road sign, road markings) and yet drivers are still making illegal right turns.

I know this is a nightmare for bus and tram drivers alike, but it also holds up the traffic for anyone wanting to enter West Street from Glossop road.

We need to see better enforcement. This is a TS50 offence attracting a fixed penalty notice and 3 points.

Thank you.

[Image of the junction in question]

Now the mighty Sheffield University has blocked off the only way on to Glossop road/West street from the Univeristy roundabout maybe the only way on is to do a right turn then turn round and come back down Glossop road to avoid a mighty detour

I would love to know who is bed with who at this university, sheffield city planning dept and the highways commission.

Ms Interpret this has been going on unchallenged for years well before any layout changes were made.

If you're driving down Glossop Rd (heading towards town) and want to get onto the ring road heading south, then you drive up to Brook hill roundabout [as shown here].

An illegal right turn on a major junction isn't an option.

The worst thing about this junction is the sheer number of drivers that don't know what yellow cross hatchings on the road surface mean. So many idiots just blindly and ignorantly blocking the road because they want to get 20 feet further ahead.

I used to work very near that junction. Then a lot of traffic came down Glossop Road and turned left across the front of what was HSBC but is now a supermarket. Has that cut been eliminated? I don't recall right turning traffic being a problem then, but I'm probably going back 15 years!

I used to work very near that junction. Then a lot of traffic came down Glossop Road and turned left across the front of what was HSBC but is now a supermarket. Has that cut been eliminated? I don't recall right turning traffic being a problem then, but I'm probably going back 15 years!

Yes.

52 and 51 buses no longer use Brook Hill into town and with 120 use Glossop Road.

When Brook Hill bridge work is completed the removal of the bus lane and bus gate there will (should) increase flow for other vehicles. To reduce the flow down to enable buses to maintain their journey time, Glossop Road it is now ahead only at the Hanover junction into town.

This no left turn will also increase flow along Hannover.

Now the mighty Sheffield University has blocked off the only way on to Glossop road/West street from the Univeristy roundabout

The "only way" apart from the other ways.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 07:39 ----------

Now the mighty Sheffield University has blocked off the only way on to Glossop road/West street from the Univeristy roundabout maybe the only way on is to do a right turn then turn round and come back down Glossop road to avoid a mighty detour

I would love to know who is bed with who at this university, sheffield city planning dept and the highways commission.

This doesn't even make sense as a possible "excuse" for the turn the OP describes, which would take you down to Waitrose, away from West Street.

I may be wrong but I recall taxi drivers on here proving they were allowed to make that turn.

I don't think anyone can turn right on to Upper Hanover Street when heading towards West Street, which is the turn that the OP speaks about. Buses (and I think you're right about taxis) can turn right towards the Uni roundabout heading away from West Street, but that's not the problem discussed here.