Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

I work near the Glossop Rd/ Hanover Way intersection, and from what I've seen, and as others have suggested, it's almost always taxis making that illegal right from Glossop onto Hanover (townwards).

Another illegal right turn they seem fond of is coming down Crookes Road to Broomhill, crossing the Whitham Rd crossroads and doing a cheeky sharp right in front of The Place.

There are no exceptions made for taxi drivers. I've asked myself whilst riding in a taxi making that same illegal right turn. Driver said 'we're not supposed to but it's quicker'.

Google Street View [link here] is probably easier to see. There are no exceptions anywhere, even for buses. It's ahead only.

If travelling down glossop rd past the rhh you then turn left up clarkson st then right onto western bank then right at the r/bout to get onto the ring rd towards moore st r/bout.

Another illegal right turn they seem fond of is coming down Crookes Road to Broomhill, crossing the Whitham Rd crossroads and doing a cheeky sharp right in front of The Place.

I found it on Street View [here] and yet again it's crystal clear that no right turns are allowed.

Perhaps some others might argue that if the Council stopped with thier ludicrous attempts to micro manage every aspect of traffic with their ever increasing controls and restrictions people would not breach the rules so often.

Perhaps some others might argue that if the alternative diversions to these routes were not so rediculously long winded and time consuming then people might stop taking the risk.

A clear case in point is poor sods who have to try and get to Blonk Street from Spital Hill every day. A straight drive through the Wicker with, admittedly, a little bit of bottle neck due to the lights has now become a long winded treck up to the parkway, round the loop and back down again which, dependant on traffic can be anything from a 5 minute add on to a 15 minute add on.

What about the simple trip from say, Calver Street to Arundel Gate. You cannot even drive in a stright line down the road. Oh no, its a trip up Cambridge Street, through Cross Burgess Street and round the loop to get back to the exact same point from where you came from in order to eventually turn left!

No wonder people get frustrated and do what they want.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest sibon

I get the same feeling when I encounter Tories. I've always wanted to live in a world where they don't exist. The Council don't seem to be doing anything to make that happen. So, it should not come as a surprise when I take my Japanse Samurai sword out for a walk and swipe a few Tory heads off.*

Not my fault. I'm just frustrated and doing what I want.

* This is an allegory to underline the absolute stupidity of ECCOnoob's post. I'd never hurt a fly really.

I found it on Street View [here] and yet again it's crystal clear that no right turns are allowed.

I occasionally use this junction, and would like to turn right onto Peel Street, but have to detour round.

An odd little detail I've noticed here is that the yellow box junction level with the end of Peel Street extends across the full width of Peel Street. The bottom half of the box junction, ie level with the turn into Peel Street, serves no purpose. It would only make sense if we were allowed to turn right into Peel Street. A minor detail - just something I've noticed.

---------- Post added 12-04-2017 at 06:53 ----------

Perhaps some others might argue that if the Council stopped with thier ludicrous attempts to micro manage every aspect of traffic with their ever increasing controls and restrictions people would not breach the rules so often.

Perhaps some others might argue that if the alternative diversions to these routes were not so rediculously long winded and time consuming then people might stop taking the risk.

A clear case in point is poor sods who have to try and get to Blonk Street from Spital Hill every day. A straight drive through the Wicker with, admittedly, a little bit of bottle neck due to the lights has now become a long winded treck up to the parkway, round the loop and back down again which, dependant on traffic can be anything from a 5 minute add on to a 15 minute add on.

What about the simple trip from say, Calver Street to Arundel Gate. You cannot even drive in a stright line down the road. Oh no, its a trip up Cambridge Street, through Cross Burgess Street and round the loop to get back to the exact same point from where you came from in order to eventually turn left!

And others would argue that if the SCC didn't micromanage in this way, then the city's roads would become blocked with people trying to rat run through the centre of the city to get from one side to the other, making these areas of the city worse for everyone.

I occasionally use this junction, and would like to turn right onto Peel Street, but have to detour round.

An odd little detail I've noticed here is that the yellow box junction level with the end of Peel Street extends across the full width of Peel Street. The bottom half of the box junction, ie level with the turn into Peel Street, serves no purpose. It would only make sense if we were allowed to turn right into Peel Street. A minor detail - just something I've noticed.

Large commercial vehicles use Peel Street including to supply businesses on the street including two pubs, a supermarket and a large telephone exchange.

It has been used as an emergency bus turn around during snow.

These and other vans and large cars would not be able to exit Peel Street right onto Nile Street as easily without this width.

The yellow box was introduced after the no right turn which itself was introduced blocking up Crookes Junction

Large commercial vehicles use Peel Street including to supply businesses on the street including two pubs, a supermarket and a large telephone exchange.

It has been used as an emergency bus turn around during snow.

These and other vans and large cars would not be able to exit Peel Street right onto Nile Street as easily without this width.

The yellow box was introduced after the no right turn which itself was introduced blocking up Crookes Junction

Good point. Thanks.